Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Natasha

Conscious dying

2 posts in this topic

Leo mentioned 'conscious dying' in one of his videos and it got me to ponder. Considering the fact that our innate nature is nothingness, would it be accurate to say that death is not opposite of life, but only opposite of birth? And wouldn't pursuing enlightenment then become a journey back home, so to speak, back to the place we all came from to begin with? This is another reason I find enlightenment so desirable and of great value, worth investing much time and effort into.

What does 'conscious dying' mean to you?

Considering the fact that our innate nature is nothingness, would it be accurate to say that death is not opposite of life, but only opposite of birth?

Yes, well said. Surely a body goes through birth and death, but the Truth of you does not.

And wouldn't pursuing enlightenment then become a journey back home, so to speak, back to the place we all came from to begin with? 

It's not that you came from Truth, it's that you are Truth. You never came from anywhere. You were always here. Truth was never born, and hence can never die. An eternity before you were born, Truth was there. Don't take what I say too seriously. They're just words.

What does 'conscious dying' mean to you?

Since the Truth of you can never die, what Leo is probably referring to is your ego. When you expose the ego and start to see through it, it feels as though part of you is dying. In a sense, it is, because you identify so strongly with ego. To willingly continue to see through ego while it feels as though you are slowly dying is my guess as to what 'conscious dying' means.

Another possible interpretation is death-awareness regarding the body: to realize that your time here in this body is limited and to consciously make the most of it.

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov