Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlwaysBeNice

I'm starting to think there is no free will

3 posts in this topic

The teachings which got me into this, had me convinced we have free will, Bashar/Neale Walsch. Though Walsch was a bit paradoxical, and Bashar also mentioned the ego's sense of control is like a steering wheel not attached to anything.

Anyways, I am not enlightened, from what I belief, like, I have a sense of me, that can disappear completely afaik, and be seen even that it never was. Listening to Jim Newman recently, quite a fascinating guy whom speaks of his awakening, only he is big on the idea of you can't do anything, it's hopeless, I think as a specific teaching of him that he got from Tony Parsons, which brought about his awakening, though he talked positively about meditation as well ['what is always available, it seems to be easier for people to realize in meditation'], something along those lines. Personally I've found 'do-nothing'meditation especially incredibly powerful, also self-enquiry, and can recommended it strongly. It's gotten to the point where I get glimpses regularly at night, that I can't remember now, what ever.

FREE WILL.

Lately pondering this has been quite profound, as I said, I was a strong believer at first, in we have a soul, that can choose 'good' options.

But what are good options really  (I do feel an inherent tendency to doing good, compassion, like all humans have, albeit expressed differently)?

And can I choose my next thought? No, it just arises.

Can I choose my actions? Well, we all already do our best to our knowledge, through our input and conditioning, and thoughts/mental processes just happen, don't they?

- This helps in reducing the sense of separate me I belief, because, if there's no free will, you can't really hate anyone, you will love everyone, and yourself, and there is no real room for guilt !

Really diligently investigate this sense of do-er-sense, from where does it arise, is it really under your control? Really? And control for what? Do you need anything really? :) 

How can you have free will when you don't exist? You only exist as That which is Everything or what the mind would call God. Only That is the doer and has free will to do anything as it is Everything and thus nothing can prevent it from doing anything aka It is Omnipotent. 

20 minutes ago, David Hammond said:

No need to throw out your ego beliefs. The point is to see that they are empty. This means that they are ultimately meaningless..they are no-thing. Then extend that inspection to all objects. See through their apparent solidity.

If you relinquish functional beliefs and swap them for spiritual beliefs all you do is create a spiritual ego..a hellish trap. Keep your ego in tact, just learn how to see that it's empty. That is freedom. 

You have free will and at the same time free will is a meaningless concept, as meaningless as a self.

Just don't make the mistake of trying to kill the ego. It won't happen.

Agree with the sentiment, I feel, as long as I am not enlightened, to just be, without thought or belief, is best, any thought of 'I [have free will]  or [no free will]', is just self-centered bs thinking, never the less it's very interesting to observe this sense of do-er ship and see it's happening even without my will, if that will could be real ^^