Flower

Sugar Cravings :(

9 posts in this topic

Anybody have any advice for how to reduce sugar intake? I don't have particular issues with processed sugary foods , sweets chocolates etc.. In fact It is more an excessive consumption of bread, fruit and other carb-rich foods. It is really difficult to come off it, I do try to eat lots of vegetables and salads, but I always prefer the sweeter option :$ I also find that when I am upset, i tend to eat less but what I do eat is just carbs. 

Sometimes I can eat a whole loaf of bread 9_9

'The end of fear is the beginning of all wisdom'

@Flower Fasting and reducing carbs. No other way to stop other than stopping. Your body will eventually adapt and the cravings will stop but it will take time...sometimes even months of cravings and suffering. If it was easy everybody would do it. I speak from experience,

Eating more frequently: 4-5 meals. Fructose and nuts as a snack to reduce sugar cravings between the meals. Banana and almonds are optimal. 4-5 meals of complex carbs like quinoa with half of it being veg like tomatoes and broccoli. With lean protein like egg whites, chicken. With good unsaturated fats like avocado and olive oils. Fish oils as a supplement also as a supplement.:) hope it helps :)

You can try to do it in 2 ways.

First one is to changing your eating habit. For example you can eat more meals, and chew a lot more (30 times each chunk). Good thing is to have 'a thing to do' when you think about eating, like to do 10 squats and 10 push-ups. Its kinda trick for your brain and low willpower.

Second one is changing your diet to something that will fix your problem with cravings ( if you have sudden fell (spike like) you WANT to eat , and you cant resist how it affect your brain then it is craving and not being hungry[Hunger is more persistent and obvious.) Cravings means you probably have problem with energy iven tho you eat enough 'calories' ( problem with metabolizing food aka insulin and other). Quick fix would be ketosis. Like keto diet, but its hard and not for everyone, specialy if you dont have willpower

Thank you all, I think I will be taking some advice from all of you. A combination of meditation to increase will power. changing the composition of foods and also your right that cutting carbs is the only way to cut carbs!, so will begin by changing my current diet.

:)

'The end of fear is the beginning of all wisdom'

@Flower I, too, have a sweet tooth so I know how hard it can be. What helps me to stay in line is having a organized meal plan. I do a lot of pre-cooking so I won't get the opportunity to make bad choices. If I have a day where my craving for something sweet is strong, I will either chew some gum, drink some more coffee or tea or eat a bit of dark chocolate or have a one kiwi. What also helps is not to starve yourself - otherwise you become desperate:)

Personally for me, I find that once i really allow myself to 'indulge' or eat alot of sweets in a short period of time (can be within a day or say, a week) i find it hard to stop and find that i will continue eating sugar the next day, etc. I think simply building a habit of eating less sugar helps for sure, and not buying the sugary junk food. Also, if there is free food at work (i love free food...) and it happens to be sugary and junky which is not uncommon, i would suggest to just think of whether you would still eat it if you had to pay for it. Just because its free, it can work against you as you will be paying for your medical bills later on (think in that kind of a mindset). As often we eat the free food in ADDITION to our own lunch etc. If its something satisfying and not too bad then sure. 

in regards to eating alot of carbs in general, i suggest trying to eat mostly veggies (still have carbs but are soo filling and seriously delicious - well to me - if prepared in a way you enjoy), BUT having a small portion of good carbs with your veggies such that when you do consume carbs (and just a little , though the reduced amount may take some time to get used to) its bloodsugar spiking effect may be largely reduced by the fibrous veggies (and fats n proteins). A way to get more veggies is to cook em (personally for me that increases its palatability alot more) as its easier to chew, often sweeter, etc. Though one can argue raw veggies are healthier, this is a place to start, to simply make the bulk of your meals and foods, vegetables. Personally, i find when i cook the veggies, they already seem starchy to me, such that i dont feel the need for large amounts of other carbs like bread, rice, etc. Not to mention you can eat a huge amount of it without the extra calories.

nonetheless, i think finding a way of eating less carbs that works for you (often involves eating mostly veggies if done the 'healthy' way) and that you actually enjoy, and is convenient (because if you home from work hungry you probably wont want to cook any veggies and will likely go for high glycemic carby foods) then building a habit of that so it becomes mindless and routine.