Amun

Having nothing to protect

4 posts in this topic

Now isn't that liberating? No name to protect, no social status, no bank account, no job, no relationship, no life or no sense of identity. This doesn't mean deliberately not getting a job or a relationship is liberation. But it means enjoying it while it spontaneously happens and not being moved after it's done. Life, relationships, money, social status. Nothing to protect, nothing to prove. Or am I wrong? 

During the civil wars in feudal Japan, an invading army would quickly sweep into a town and take control. In one particular village, everyone fled just before the army arrived - everyone except the Zen master. Curious about this old fellow, the general went to the temple to see for himself what kind of man this master was. When he wasn't treated with the deference and submissiveness to which he was accustomed, the general burst into anger. "You fool," he shouted as he reached for his sword, "don't you realize you are standing before a man who could run you through without blinking an eye!" But despite the threat, the master seemed unmoved. "And do you realize," the master replied calmly, "that you are standing before a man who can be run through without blinking an eye?"

(other versions of this story then describe how the general, surprised and awed by the master, sheepishly leaves)

9 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

Ideally that would mean death.

9 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

Ideally that would mean death.

It does, but it isn't suicidal, because life happened to us spontaneously, we ought to live it spontaneously. If we force ourselves out of life that would be resistance. But it does mean death in the sense that you would be giving up on your identity as a "person". (I'm not gonna go as far as to claim i achieved this tho)