Himanshu

Question during Life Purpose Course

2 posts in this topic

I'm fairly certain what I want to do in my life. I want to be an independent New Media Artist, this is a budding field, and I have the following reasons:

• It allows me to combine my long-standing interests in computers/tech, psychology and Art
  • I can make the viewers engage with the artwork on so many levels, it's incredible. A well-done piece can transform an individual forever
  • Interactive/ user-centric generative art is a game changer. This could not have been possible before ever.
    • The non-enlightened me is filled with gratitude to be born in this decade 
  • It allows me to explore deep metaphysical questions at a deeper, more tangible level
  • It allows me to explore logic and algorithms -- giving me a way of understanding how, for example, natural patterns emerge - that fascinates me
  • Most of the development in the field is only recent. I can be a pioneer in the field exploring the unknown, paving way for more researchers/artists.
  • I have a natural ability to get the mood of a house, painting, music, sculpture (and people) and feel it through my bones 
  • And conversely, it's effortless for me to imagine complimentary visuals when a sound is playing, or articulate a feeling in colors and form
  • I can research further into archetypes, symbols, and perceptual psychology... and use them in my work, I can keep developing forever 
  • I can make people feel wonder.. again. Because existence IS anything but mundane, it's MAGICAL!

Now, here are the issues:

• I recently quit my job as an Architect and currently have no source of income 
  • I am not skilled enough to develop even good-enough art for another 6 months at least, and
  • As it's a budding field, there is very little market for the kind of exhibitions that I imagine
  • As of now, I've no real cash-flow system in mind. I don't know what I'll sell and how 
  • It still feels like a pipe dream; it lacks specificity and enough strategy
  • I am afraid of committing to one thing and 'feeling' that I missed on something - which despite being very unlikely to happen, is something I fear - and I hope will be tackled in the LP course

While my parents are fairly supportive, living at my parents' home is stifling. I have a few ideas that can potentially support me financially while making me a better artist:

• Starting a YouTube channel- documenting my journey, exploring animation, filmmaking, tinkering with electronics
    • Long road
    • Start to build a community which later may turn into appreciators of my work 
    • Gives me direct feedback to improve the work that I produce
    • Gives me a 'voice' in the public
    • Doesn't make any money until 1000 subs -
      • at least 3 months of publishing quality content,  marketing, SEO management, and being a wise ass strategy wizard with what I post
  • Providing  freelance 3D modeling/rendering services
  • Working as a freelance writer for Arch criticism/journalism 
  • All of the above

If anybody has any words of wisdom/support/random pieces of advice to open my mind or straighten my ideas, they're welcomed.

What I'm really seeking is feedback, if you have this far into the post, you might as well give some. I seek to learn and your words will be thoroughly considered, I promise. 

Reality check. If you have never made any money through YouTube or your own website, then you are probably underestimating the effort it needs by 10-fold.

Better focus on freelancing until you can make a living.