Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
electroBeam

For enlightenment purposes, is choosing an intellectual job wise?

3 posts in this topic

Is it problematic to choose a highly intellectual job if what you truly want partially involves peace, tranquility, no-mind, 0 monkey mind, etc?

Is it possible to pursue a job which is very intellectual, yet can also be done in a very mindless/no-mind way?

In my intellectual job, about 70% of what i do is intellectual, yet there is a 30% which involves no intellect, but UNDERSTANDING. I mean deep insights which are not grounded in intellect but are very hard to explain, 'knowing moments'. The sensation feels like dominos all falling at once, because the insight is so complete that it makes every thought you have collapse for a few seconds. I really enjoy this part, but I fear the other 70% may not be the most effective use of time.

Alot of intellectually stimulating jobs offer high paying salaries because they're typically difficult. If you play your cards right, live below your means and don't spend much you can stop working after a short while and then do your thing. Alot of programming jobs can also be done in about 4 hours a day if you work for bigger companies and you get big salary so you get much time to practice if that's your thing. 

Although to give you a counter argument against that, here is a quote from Nassim Taleb - "Work destroys your soul by stealthily invading your brain during the hours not officially spent working; be selective about your professions."

Edited by BartekD