Jamesc

What's the difference between non duality and enlightenment?

5 posts in this topic

But how many times does one become enlightened as to how many times does one see non duality? If there was anything to look at anyway.

Non-duality is an understanding.  Enlightenment is a being.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Nonduality is knowledge that occurs when you die. You can read about it all you want, but you'll never obtain this knowledge through concepts. Don't get me wrong, a certain amount of theory is extremely helpful.  

Enlightenment is being. Free from ego, free from psychological time, etc. Also your death. There are many levels to awakening and nondual understanding, so don't think of these as binary on/off light switches.

Nonduality and enlightenment are two aspects (and not the only 2) of the same coin of consciousness. Your question about how many times is completely relative and dependent on factors way outside one's control. I'd posit that there's no fundamental difference between nonduality and enlightenment; they only point to your relative experience of the Absolute, which itself is not absolute... you are usually only conscious of one or two aspects of the absolute at a time, in varying levels or intensities. So just because you had a nondual, mystical experience but it wasn't full-blown enlightenment doesn't mean you were removed from enlightenment, or that these are somehow separate. All it means is that you weren't ready to become conscious of that aspect yet.

Edited by TheAvatarState

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

8 hours ago, magickmystik said:

i got a diagram of it, what do you think?

Screenshot_104.png

It makes sense, I like it thanks for sharing?