Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IVONNE

What is the definition of ethical issue?

17 posts in this topic

I have an essay that is asking to provide a definition of what is meant by ethical issues and to include discussions around it with examples.

My understanding on ethical issues is situation that arises. For example in medical fields practitioners  are always places in stressful situation that they have to make crucial decisions on someone's life.

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong

and if your well educated on this, can you give me your thoughts and examples. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks 

@IVONNE when i was writing my master's thesis, i would be able manipulate the data in order to show what i wanted to show if i wanted to.

that would be an ethical issue.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya Soo...what your saying is that you would change the data into the way you wanted to in order to say what you wanted to say and so that was an ethical issue 9_9

how exactly, I'm confused?

are you saying that if you couldn't change data into your own words, then that wouldn't be an issue?

am I making sense?

@ajasatya are you saying that you've used the plagiarism checker to type your essays and so doing the things the way you did in order to say what you wanted to say was an ethical issue.

I'm I understanding this wright?

@IVONNE no. the problem would be my impurity. i would be deliberately lying if i manipulated the data to reflect whatever i wanted. lying would be the ethical issue.

you can't provide an ultimate fix for ethical issues with rules/laws. the ethical issue is in the intent of the professional. rules/laws exist to mitigate the consequences of corruption.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya 'the ethical issue is in the intent of the professional'.

Does this part mean that ethical issues are intentionally in the hands of professionals and so we can't do anything about it 

@IVONNE in my experience, you can do something about it.

you can run internal campaigns on your company to encourage its professionals to work with ethic. ethical issues happen when the professionals feel pressure, somehow, making them more likely to lie to show fake results.

in the company where i work, we feel protected by the internal code of ethics. we're paid to tell the truth.

i work in the field of data science, so the need for strong ethical principles is a major priority.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya -_-That's more like it. I don't know what to say.. simply can't thank enough!

This has now made so much sense and its an interesting topic too.

I have to have 3 ethical issues.

For now I have one which is in medical fields and I need 2 more. If you could help that would be amazing.

6 minutes ago, IVONNE said:

I have to have 3 ethical issues.

For now I have one which is in medical fields and I need 2 more. If you could help that would be amazing.

no no no. you come up with examples of ethical issues and we can discuss. thinking about it is good for your own growth.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya awwwww noo, too bad. okaaay!

I have an interesting one which is employees that steal in the workplace. I am a female security guard at a Big company at amazon. Although I am young, I found out that employees steal the latest iPhone. they work in the warehouse in groups and so when a parcel is missing, they good at saying things like we all worked together and nothing happened. They (tiptoe) walking knowing that scanners won't reach under their shoes and so its easier to get away with it. 

That's an ethical issues right ?

@ajasatya@ajasatya Thanks !!

i'm now  thinking of 1 more ethical issue......

it has to be interesting or else i'll get bored to talk about it 

@ajasatya what about people in big positions manipulation those that are less fortunate. I don't know what you call it. I recently started at a new workplace and on my first day there was a lady same age as me that was a team leader told me to clean with the others and I refused because I know she had a problem with me being here or the fact that I was different than anyone else and so she wanted to make me work and make everyone else thing that I am her worker. I refused and told her to clean it herself because I did and she  clearly had a problem with it. then I left I reported it to my coordinator and well upset of what happened and I was explaining everything and the coordinator was fascinated on what I saw.

I told her that I was sad the fact that people act in such ways and workers would do anything to keep their positions and so their manipulated and so we had a long discussion about her (the coordinator) having issues with managers and team leaders like that and she raised her concerned and ten telling me that she was happy to hear me because not many people stand for themselves and that I would be fully paid and nothing was on me (my fault). they were unprofessional and I told her that when people are in big positions, it comes with pride and then they manipulate those that t=are less fortunate and she was fascinated of the truth I've mentioned. I wanted to leave but then she said that i'll be having a new role :)

Soo.....what do you call those people that give orders in which workers have to obey to prevent consequences ?

Is that an ethical issue by the way?

@ajasatya@IVONNE in my psychology class we learned about Milgram.

Milgram was interested in researching how far people would go in obeying an instruction if it involved harming another person. Stanley Milgram was Interested in how easily ordinary people could be influenced into committing atrocities for example, Germans in WWII.

He found out that ordinary people are likely to follow orders given by an authority figure, even to the extent of killing an innocent human being. Obedience to authority is ingrained in us all from the way we are brought up.

People tend to obey orders from other people if they recognize their authority as morally right and / or legally based.

This response to legitimate authority is learned in a variety of situations, for example in the family, school and workplace.

I hope this makes sense. this is a perfect example of what happened at my new workplace.

what do you call them people 'authority' figure?

Will that be an ethical issue if I make this as my 3rd ethical issue for my assignment ?

@IVONNE the authority is good when the person is aware of his/her responsibilities. higher power, higher responsibilites.

sometimes i come across situations that require some decision that goes beyond my responsibility. it's good that i have someone that can decide for me and that will take responsibility for the consequences, since he/she is more experienced than me.

but abusing the authority powers is something else. in practice, what should happen is that high authorities should be eager to work more and harder than lower authorities. this is how you spot a good leader... it's about the amount of responsibility that he/she can take without breaking down.

i don't think your third example was really an ethical issue. it was more like a case of ignorance, where your co-worker was not aware of her responsibility. ethical issues, in my opinion, happens with deliberated misguidance.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya I really like your thought. very thoughtful!  Just seen your message after GYM.Thanks again! Many Thanks again!!.....nothing  more to say^_^

Second part of my essay says Discuss ethical dilemma surrounding ethical issues

in other words that means discuss what's indecisive around ethical issues 

But how do you put it ??