Oktillo

Creativity books?

7 posts in this topic

Any books out there that would help me enhance my creativity or open my mind up to what it is that I can do to make use of my creative mind? I find myself having great ideas about art, and music or these two convine but I guess I’m just afraid of having to tap into them or lacking discipline, I’m 22 y/o and I know there’s something Greater calling me about how to express things, and I want to know how to let that out... pls help :)

@Oktillo Eric Maisel's books are good. But ultimately any good creativity book will just tell you start taking action and to be excited about failure and making mistakes. You're afraid of failure, but failure is amazing! It teaches you so much. You need to fail thousands of times before you become good. So you just need to shift your perspective, and then the fear you're facing will at the very least be reduced, if not disappear. I made this shift recently and its amazing. I've been more creative and produced more artwork than ever before in my life - literally. So step 1) expect and actually look for failure and mistakes, step 2) take any action, whether that be creating art or creating music. 3) repeat. Get your passions out of the realm of possibility and into actuality. Reading the books comes after you've taken loads of action.

Edited by Space

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

Actually no long ago I admitted to myself that I was afraid of failure, very important that you mentioned cuz sometimes we forget about what certain fears feels like and we tend to ignore, so I’ll keep a note to kinda persue failure and olso see how could it be transform from failure to something actual without expecting anything, thanks for your advice. 

@Oktillo Yea all it takes is seeing failure in a positive light. Failure = growth and improvement. 

Edited by Space

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

10 minutes ago, Space said:

@Oktillo Reading the books comes after you've taken loads of action.

Well I really thought I could open my mind more to defeat some kind of fear or to face it, you recommendation was really tangible, but I really actually thought a book might come handy, I don’t actually have any expert material on any area but I’ve been close on how some things works and how make them better or extract the beauty of it, but I guess we come again to putting in to work and fail xD

I recommend Kelley‘s Creative Confidence, was my first book on creativity and pumped me up to tap more into my creative potential.
Also one short book called Steal like an artist; also many books from Leo‘s booklist are fucking great. :)

Here Kelley‘s talk on Creative Confidence:

Connect to Create ☼♡