brugluiz

Is it possible that Kung Fu is quite Blue SD?

3 posts in this topic

I was having a conversation with a guy who practices Kung Fu with me and I told him I saw a video of a girl doing intuitive movements similar to Tai Chi Chuan. He then told me that katis (the movements of Kung Fu) are done in order to learn a technique and to identify the style of Kung Fu you practice. I felt he indirectly said to me that intuitive movements are bad and katis are good.

I really love intuitive movements and I find them very beautiful (despite finding katis very beautiful too).

Is it the case that Kung Fu is a very Blue SD martial art? I'm thinking on quitting Kung Fu because I don't feel I'm having many benefits from it.

Maybe I'll start Yoga in order to get fit and expand my consciousness.

Kung Fu is a very Blue SD martial art

More to do with the practitioner than the style.

Also, there is nothing wrong with something being blue. Martial Arts can be a very healthy form of Blue based on real respect and loyalty between people. There is also no way it's entirely blue.

Not everything has to do with spiral dynamics, and it's not like "green martial arts" would be more effective than "blue martial arts" but probably very different. If you're not getting any benefits you can stop, but don't stop because you think it's holding you back from moving up the spiral. It's not. You are.

I felt he indirectly said to me that intuitive movements are bad and katis are good.

Intuitive movements are quite bad when it comes to real self-defence, you don't want to be doing slow paced Tai Chi when someone is about to crack you in the head with a bat. Better to do a technique that is designed to deal with this most effectively (the best technique is don't be there in the first place). Each has it's place, I often enjoy just walking at night doing intuitive movements. I just wouldn't do that (to the same degree) with a sparring partner. Once you have built up enough skill, the techniques become very natural and you can be more fluid and intuitive.

I don't have doubts about the effectiveness of Kung Fu, even if it was Blue. The thing is that Kung Fu is generaly inside of a hierarchy of values that I can't relate anymore.