Himanshu

I'm interested in too many things

4 posts in this topic

I've studied Architecture and have been practicing as one for an year. While I loved being in Architecture school, absorbing knowledge and dreaming up everything that could be done, I've hated the constraints of working under someone. My main issues with the firms were: lack of larger contribution, lack of experimentation, slow growth and very little work-to-pay ratio. I've quit my job and have been staying at home for about 2 months now. Now that I've distanced myself from a job, I find myself interested in learning psychology, sculpting and other forms of visual art, color theory, culture, advertisements, working with senses: sight, sound, touch and smell, interpersonal relationships and the fundamentals of physics - electronics, distilling light and sound, etc. So much so that I end up spending all my time researching, listening to theory and looking at works of other people. 

While I still love designing spaces and I can (maybe after years of struggle) find the application of my interests in Architecture and Interior design, it being a service business I cannot find the level of autonomy and freedom I desire in my work.

My research has led me to some interaction design firms  working with electronics to create user experiences primarily (as of now) for advertisements. I've had random visions (intuitions?) of working with new media to make art - using, say, projectors, generative art, sounds, wind guns, sensors and pulling data from the internet, to design a user-centric experience (artwork). This could be way more intimate than any other art form(except filmmaking, perhaps). The range of depth achievable with this form is much higher than strictly visual art or music. This could bring about realizations that a Kandinsky or a Picasso simply cannot. 

I plan to pursue post grad in either new media design/experimental media arts (a lot of experimentation and charting unknown terriroties - anything I produce is never-seen-before and one-of-its-kind) or Information design(large scale useful contribution aligning with my passion to learn broadly). As of today, I'd be thrilled to be in either of those fields. 

Now, I've an unplanned one and a half year ahead of me before I join a post grad. I intend to move to a new city and complete the life purpose course. Other than that, I've absolutely no idea what I'd be doing. I do not want to join another architecture firm, but I'm going to need money to not worry about survival and buy materials to work with. What are some ways to generate income in this context? I may start learning the software and techniques for experimental media and provide freelance services/teaching the same - but I am not able to find a solid ground to stick to. 

On 26.12.2018 at 11:57 AM, Himanshu said:

What are some ways to generate income in this context? I may start learning the software and techniques for experimental media and provide freelance services/teaching the same - but I am not able to find a solid ground to stick to.

Have you tried fiverr.com?

On 26.12.2018 at 11:57 AM, Himanshu said:

I intend to move to a new city and complete the life purpose course.

Do you plan to do the two things exactly in this order? I am asking because if the answer is yes, I think it is more beneficial to do the LP course first and then move to another city (if still necessary).

@Himanshu Being interested in lots of things is quite common, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. Try writing out everything you'd like to do, or all of your interests, and then think about what is most important to you and what you should be prioritising. Writing things down will help you to look at the bigger picture and identify what you should be doing. It sounds like you have a lot of great creative ideas, so really the only steps are to prioritise what is most important and worth spending your time doing, and then actually do it and produce work/create personal projects. Through the process of action you'll eventually find your way. So don't worry too much about planning out every single moment of the next 1.5 years. Just take action. With regards to generating income, I don't think anyone is going to be able to provide you with a specific answer for that. It's quite a difficult question to answer.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski