Quantum_fluctuations

How to respond to abusive words?

22 posts in this topic

@Quantum_fluctuations I have many years of experience with this ( I still struggle with it weekly when I exchange our daughter with her dad). I will try to help. If you can get away from an abuser, great! If not, this may help: I believe that an abuser is a hurt, whiny, child inside that will resort to the worst measures to get your attention (they personalize harsh language, insults, threats, etc). That said, most of the time any attention you offer (kindness or reciprocal attitude) will just fuel more abuse... even indifference or ignoring them can set them off more. So, what works best for me right now is: I treat the attacker (verbal or physical) like an aggressive/ rabbid wild dog. I remain calm, yet alert -(ready, rather than afraid, and project only peace). I send them love energetically only (even too much verbal kindness can trigger them). I try to never give in to any gas-lighting; I respond, but I speak as little as possible, using an even tone, only slightly cheerful and don't raise my voice, (even if they yell). I SPEAK TO THEM IN PUBLIC ONLY, they are typically less toxic with an audience to witness their behaviour. I try not to take anything personally, even when they personalize it to trigger me. I phone the police if I am legitimately threatened, stalked, etc. I find herbal remedies such as rescue remedy can help before I have to deal with the abusive behaviour. Also having a friend/s helps create a bigger abuse shield. That all said, having to do this egg-shell-walk to de-escalate/minimize abuse has been taking a toll on my health. If you can avoid going into the belly of that beast, it might be best. Good luck!

@Joseph Maynor Yeahh... It makes sense. One should understand what situation is bu taking in account stupidity or whatever other resons which led upto the situation and then just respond appropriately and most importantly don't feel hurt.