Thittato

My meditation journal

1,350 posts in this topic

45 min meditation today. It felt like I had an identity crisis before I sat down. Like there is no category or group of people what so ever anymore where I belong. And then I just relaxed into all these feelings, sensations and scenarios, and now after the sit I feel very relieved regarding all this. Some kind of cramp that came wanting me to find an identy to cling to, and now I'm relaxed enough to just rest with things as they are.

Holy fuck.

I'm not really feeling good these days.

And it won't go away. And it has everything to do with that failed skydiving-course.

For 3 months, at least, I've been investing my whole identity into making skydiving into the ultimate in my life. Like the absolute totally next step in my progression in life.

This summer is totally going to suck.

Like really hard.

I'm lost. I'm bewildered.

Instead of just getting the shit over with by just doing the fucking stupid jump I'm getting punished in hell for not doing it.

I'm getting really painful penalty rounds for no good at all.

Doesn't feel like I have any choice at all. I just need to get back up there again and do the fucking jump.

So I have booked a tandem-jump again now on saturday at the local skydiving-club. But it doesn't seem like the weather is going to be in our favour. But if it is I'm jumping tandem again on saturday.

Feels like that is just delaying the inevitable anyways. Making the jump myself.

Shouldn't be so hard on myself, but no doubt about it that this totally sucks.

I guess, if life is forcing me to do this, well, then I have no other choice than to surrender into it.

Resistance is futile.

30 min meditation today. Still feeling like crap. Trying to just surrender into it. Guess I neeed to return back to the experience of letting it burn. I've often found before that through meditation burning emotional pain can transform into burning passion. I just need to fully comprehend the totallity of my experience of life these days. And then I can own it, and then it will transform into power. By just really letting it suck. I'm having an identity crisis, like so many times before. My mind seems to take up identity with something, and then eventually, usually sooner than later, I can not sustain that identity any longer (from an internal perspective the forces building up that identity suddenly just dissolves again - from an outside perspective nothing has necessarily changed), and then I'm dissolved again into mental chaos and bewilderment. So I need to process out this chaos again, and clear up space for clearity. This doesn't look so dramatic from the outside. And I've been through many cycles of this before. But there is always a new element to it that tends to pull the rug out from under me. Some new layer of something to fully comprehend.

No meditation today, but much less of an identity crisis going on. I'm neither clinging on to some new "identity building project" nor feeling any big lack from not clinging on to such a project. I'm pretty ok just being myself today. But also, I've felt really connected with my friends and my family today. I guess a lot of my stuff get triggered when I feel lonely. So much is simply about connection and belonging. But then again, regarding those things, it certainly helps being connected to oneself in the first place. The older I get the more simple it all seems to be.

And by the way the tandem-jump that I booked today got cancelled because they didn't have enough experienced jumpers to run the local dropzone today. They are a small local club, so they are dependent on getting a certain numbers of experienced jumpers for every day that they choose to open the dropzone. I was fine either way. A bit relieved that I didn't had to jump today, but also proud of myself for actually feeling ready and booking that jump. Tomorrow I will go visit the dropzone with a friend. It sounds for certain that they will open tomorrow, but I don't think they have a tandem-instructor for tomorrow. But I think just showing up and getting to know the local skydiving family will be nice regarding whatever direction this will take for myself. They all seemed very supportive of my own story regarding all this, so they are very well-familiar with this huge fear this triggers in a lot of people. Will be fun to just go up there and watch some local skydivers do their thing.

Edited by Thittato

No meditation today either. I went to visit the local skydiving club as they were at the local dropzone today. The tandem-jump I booked for saturday got cancelled, and today they didn’t have any tandem-instructor. But it was nice seeing how they ran this much smaller club. But they couldn’t jump much today either because it was cloudy. Only once did the airplane bring jumpers up in the air, and when we left I was as much in doubt about all of this as I have been lately. Seems like jumps are often cancelled, it is difficult to book a tandem-jump, this requires an enourmous amount of time and resources for something that only lasts a few minutes each time you are lucky to get up in the air after those perfect weather conditions finally arrive. And it is expensive. But the people doing it are damn cool and nice. Glad I decided to do it again, though. I was totally up for it this time. So it seems after all this processing at least I’m a tiny little bit more relaxed about that part. Some kind of anxiety regarding this has left my body.

But it still seems like a big hazzle the whole thing. And I know it will still require A LOT of me if I continue the training.

On top of all this doubt I’ve been starting to dream about the woman I was dating last summer again. Seems like for a while I could manage to get my purpose hi-jacked into my mental projections about the skydiving world, but now that this projected fantasy has dissolved into doubt and questioning my motivation for doing this, my purpose gets hi-jacked back into romantic fantasies about this woman.

Basically everything is back to doubt, insecurities, lack of purpose, shame, not feeling good enough, etc.

Maybe I was managing to make a narcissistic projection of myself into a mental image of myself as a cool adrenaline junkie skydiver that I could «thrive» on for quite some time, and when this dissolved it revealed I have some issues regarding self-worth and lack of direction in life that still needs healing.

Basically Wim Hof and ice-bathing gave me an escape from all this this winter, as I had a new spiritual project I could hype myself up about, and then this lead me further into projected ideas about myself as a skydiver that I could hype myself further up about because that seemed like a natural progression because Wim Hof was also doing stuff like that - world record for swimming under ice, bungee jumping, etc.

I’m like constantly seeking extreme things. 

I guess the only real good thing right now is that I seem to have a greater tolerance for this misery I’m in. I would have desperately searched for something new to cling onto before. This seems to be my pattern. I’ve been carrying around so much unbearable pain that I always escape into chasing some ever-changing projected reality of what I think will be my dream-life.

It is easier these days to just let it suck. Giving myself permission to just experience all this fully without trying to find an escape. Seems like writing like this helps me remove my resistance to this experience, so maybe, finally, at some point, I can own it.

Edited by Thittato

Cold shower yesterday and today.

Still very unsure about what to do about everything.

Seems like I have made a mental construction where I was getting into ice-bathing and the Wim Hof breathing method, and as a parallell process I was also getting back into rollerblade skating, and a natural progression of those two things combined seemed to be getting into skydiving.

And now I'm wondering if this is all just some manic fantasies pulling me away from my spiritual path, or would they be a natural progression of how my spiritual path was meant to unfold?

Lots of conflicting emotions about all this.

I guess the question is are there still some very unhealed parts of myself where I'm building up an ego-structure around doing cool things because I have some wounded parts of myself that are seeking attention and acknowledgement and I'm still trying to prove myself to the world? And are those forces pulling me away from my healing-path? Or am I just having fun and challenging myself, and that is a natural unfolding of getting more and more in touch with what life is really about?

Well.

Time will show.

I certainly have to experience some uncomfortable emotional conflicts these days. No way around that.

Cold shower today as well. I think this skydiving-thing is starting to land in me now. Actually I think I will go up there again in the middle of August and do three more tandem-jumps, and then I will re-do the course again next summer. I think my problem here has been my all or nothing attitude, which was triggered pretty hard again. Either I'm a full-time skydiver, or I'm a full-time spiritual meditator. Something like that. I can just relax and let the process follow its natural course. I have already started it, and there is no need to rush it. It was more difficult for me than the other guys at the course, so I'm just taking a slower and more gradual route. And besides that, I have a lot of other things going for me, so this doesn't have to be so all-consuming. Like with everything you do, snowboarding or rollerblading, it is not like you do it once and then you decide that that is something that your are going to really go for. It is more like "yeah, that was fun." And then you do it again, and it was still fun, and then it starts to develop, and suddenly you have a pattern going with it where it is something you return to again and again as a natural organic process. Skydiving isn't something I decide on. If it keeps coming back to me as a natural urge and interest, well, then I guess a pattern will start to develop. And so far it seems like something I have to do again. So I'll start to plan to return to the dropzone again and do a few more tandem-jumps, and if the passion is still there, then probably I will do the course again next summer and be much better mentally prepared for that type of bootcamp. And in the meantime I have lots of other fun stuff going on.

Wild camping

First time sleeping alone in the forest. Oh my gosh. This feels so right. Can’t wait until daylight when I’m going to start the day with a bath in this beautiful lake.

46B4290D-BD99-4CF0-80CF-4941BA93AF7E.jpeg

Cold shower today as well. Camping was great. Been hesitant to go back to the Wim Hof breathing method since I don't know exactly what triggered that Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo episode I just had. But seems like things are starting to go back to normal now in all aspects, so maybe I'll get back to the breathing as well.

And also now later today just before I'm going to sleep (I've stayed up all night because I'm working night-shift starting tomorrow), I did 3 rounds of Wim Hof breathing, 20 min of Vinyasa flow yoga, and then a cold shower. It feels like I'm going again. I think I've picked myself up again. I needed to process the setback of not finishing the skydiving course as planned, and re-write a new and more flexible story about what kind of role skydiving will have in my life, and re-adjust to that reality. It was quite a defeat compared to where I had projected my mind now for several months. But it seems like this defeat is now getting integrated and learned from, and I'm ready to be back in my power again. In total I think the whole thing has raised my self-esteem. It was a huge accomplishment actually jumping out of that plane once. I had to overcome some serious levels of fear and anxiety. I think there is noticiable less of that fear and anxiety in me now. Encountering that really primal and instinctive fear of death - yeah, there is some really powerful exposure therapy in that. All the little dramas in life. That is nothing compared to that. It puts things into perspective. I'm a more generous guy now. I can't be bothered with what other people do. I just got to do my own thing and continue to grow as a person. I'm starting to feel happy about what this summer has given me so far. This summer is starting to develop into an interesting theme. I'm alligning with where I'm supposed to be - this present moment. It couldn't have been any other way. I'm just an organism, connected into the larger organism of all life, growing and developing as I'm supposed to. Just got to be devoted to the whole process. Bow down to the process. I'm finishing up this day by bowing down to the Buddha on my altar before I'm going to bed now. Peace and love.

Cold shower today as well. Seems like I’m still totally addicted. Been well over half a year now with pretty continous cold exposure. And the yoga I did yesterday feels amazing in my body.

20 min vinyasa flow yoga today, and then a cold shower. Pretty nice. I've done so much various physical activity in other areas, along with some sun salutations here and there, that it almost doesn't feel like I've been away from the yoga, but still, I could make well use of some good rounds of yoga now. It makes my body feel really awesome from the inside. I don't think I know anything else besides yoga that can really challenge the types of physical patterns one usually get stuck in by habit and make use of the full range of motion that the body is capable of.

Cold shower today, and then later, 25 min yin yoga, which I just finished right now before going to bed. So awesome <3

10 sun salutations today, and then a cold shower. The shower is still surprisingly cold even though there is a heat-wave outside. This is my fourth time doing yoga again for this little period that started up last Sunday. I need something physical right now, so this is really nice.

And then 25 min yin yoga before going to bed after having worked night-shift. Yoga is such a beautiful way of experiencing oneself.

10 sun salutations and then a cold shower, before going to work.

And now, after work, before going to bed, I just did 25 min of yin yoga. And now it really dawned on me what triggered this yoga-kick. My meditation practice sometimes turn to more physical  yoga for some periods when I intuitively feel that that is the best way to work with my process at that particular period. And of course it was the failed skydiving-course, and all the mental chaos that has been triggered because of that, and now I need a more determined method to move on from that, and it seemed, for now I need physical yoga to manifest a more clear direction out of this roadblock in my life that I have encountered. This is what I'm intuitively drawn towards as I'm starting to build myself up again. I'm not exactly sure what I'm building myself up again as, but yoga seems like a very good vessel for helping me surrender into whatever is next for me, and also for helping me mourn the loss of identity I had build up as I had been projecting myself for several months into a whole life within the sport/lifestyle of skydiving.

10 sun salutations, and then a cold shower, before going to work. Soooo nice.

10 sun salutations as we are halfway through the night-shift as well. Sun salutations are almost the basis for my yoga-practice. Sometimes I’ve been going for long stretches where they have been the only thing I’ve been doing.