PetarKa

The Tree of Perspectives — Personal Insight

2 posts in this topic

This is an insight I got lately which I wrote down in my commonplace book:

The Tree of Perspectives

What if there was a "tree" which contained all possible perspectives on reality. Some of them would be less useful, and others would be more so. Now contemplate how humans tackle this issue, how teaching and mentor-ship tackle this issue. It assumes that the perspective you are looking for has already been found by someone else, whether it be a guru, teacher, friend, etc. This is a comforting assumption, but nevertheless just and assumption. The contrary is (to me) quite scary but also a bit exciting. It says that the perspective you are looking for has never been embraced by any human on Earth. And if you want it you'll have to seek it out by yourself. There is a danger to this approach: If you follow this insight rigorously you'll find yourself in new uncharted territory, a new continent of perspectives, which means there will be no one there to guide you. You are a pioneer in this situation. The decision to be a pioneer is a risk-decision. What's the risk? You might waste hours and hours, or even years pursuing a dead end. You might go crazy — if such a thing is real. You might inadvertently ruin your life. How you ask? You don't know… That's the point. You don’t know what you're throwing yourself into. It could be infinite happiness, a new animal, a new realm, deep suffering, a pot of gold, a notebook, or maybe even something you never would've imagined in ten lifetimes. This decision should be personal and made appropriate to the situation and person.

But hey, don't take my word for it. This is just another perspective ;)

Edited by PetarKa