Bauer1977

The Illusion of Free Will, is life scripted?

82 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

So, basically how I understand it is that we can decide how we react to certain situations if we are conscious of them? That is the amount of free will we have. We cannot decide what our psychological patterns are that run us subconsciously and they might lead us to behave in a certain way or to have certain emotions/thoughts whatsoever. However, when becoming conscious of this pattern.. let's say I have an insecure attachment style and am prone to men who behave avoidant/distant.. because of this attachment style I subconsciously "choose" these people, but I cannot really do much against it. Yet when I recognise this pattern I can choose to go against my "subconscious urge" more or less successfully. 

Is willpower essentially free will then? To decide to go against an urge (smoking etc. )? I cannot decide what I want, but I can decide, if I am conscious enough of my addiction, to go against my wants? But basically it won't be possible to uphold a goal simply by willpower.. that is why so many people aren't able to break their addictions. Essentially you have to reprogram your wants in order to successfully stop smoking. 

So now the question is, can I freely decide to reprogram my subconscious patterns? Is this a decision I can consciously make? Likely no change will occur without discipline and thus willpower is essentially important as well. So would you say that people who exercise a lot of self-control and are very disciplined have more free will? (probably combined with high awareness of emotions/patterns)

Ugh.. this is really complicated. 9_9

As I understand it, will power is essentially acceptance. We can choose to accept our reality as it truly is. In which case our actions are 100% in line with our natural reality. We can flow with nature with this attitude. We also have the ability to not accept our reality as it, and wish to seek another reality instead. This would be grasping at the illusion that Ego has some control. In which case we will not flow with nature and will struggle to progress. The thing is though, choosing to accept your reality as it really is a choice that is made in every moment. Its a moment to moment decision made over and over again. 1000s of times each day. Quitting smoking is a big picture idea. Not smoking the next cigarette is the decision for the moment. That decision made over and over again ultimately results in no longer smoking. As nature intends I am sure. At least that's how I understand it. And my mind is satisfied with this concept.

12 hours ago, TheAvatarState said:

Oh, I'm sorry that I completely misunderstood you. My bad...

So you understand that you as a human body have absolutely no control. The one doing the scripting is not you. Is it ultimately scripted? That's a tricky one. This experience only knows and has the present moment, so a "planning ahead" or strategizing is not possible. The very concept of a script is just that: a concept. It can have no actuality. If you haven't yet, I highly recommend watching Leo's live awakening experience video, and the follow up one explaining the integration of the experience. 

There is no script, but things are exactly how they're meant to be. That's where your inner peace came from. The future will happen exactly how it will happen, inevitably, but there is no script. It's perfectly chaotic. Perfect. 

Cheers!

Yes, I agree. But even the chaos isn't chaotic. It just appears so. Quantum Mechanics explains this so well. I feel I am now satisfied with my understanding on the matter.