Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kieranperez

Does this make sense?

5 posts in this topic

So right now I'm trying to brainstorm ways on moving out from home at 23. I don't get along with my Dad at all, there is no relationship between him and I and I'm going to need to close this relationship and I'm desperate to to move out. However, one of my fears living in San Francisco is this visceral fear of not being able to survive because I can't afford to live here and I don't have any real friends I can try and move out with at this point and also don't have business skills or really practical skills beyond minimum wage jobs. 

I know my life purpose is enlightenment but I also don't have the development to really pursue as hardcore as I want to nor the freedom, money, ability, or know-how to bootstrap a business around it (that and I don't want to be the blind leading the blind). I don't know if being a monk is necessarily what I really want to do however I am contemplating it but that would be something I probably pull the trigger on in a few years once I get momentum with my practice and so on. 

So I've been thinking 'okay, I really want to move out but I only have retail job skills. I can't really start a business here at home and I don't earn enough money to really start one since I'm only scheduled to work 10 hours per week... what if I learned a more valuable skill that, sure, I'm not passionate about like programming and get a job in programming somewhere where I'm at least earning better income that I can use to invest in a business or something that I can then bootstrap to escape wage slavery?' 

What are you guys' thoughts on this? Do you think that's just taking too long of a route? Sometimes I think about it and I'm like 'man this seems like I'm taking the long route to the beach that take over an hour to get there with all these detours when I could just take the route that's only a 15 minute drive.'

yeah man im in a similar situation. I think one thing to consider that (according to Leo) enlightenment is not a life purpose. It's very important, but its different enlightenment is a state of being, whereas a life purpose is something tangible that you do so for me right now my life purpose as best as I can figure is that to be a game designer, and make and publish my own games from top to bottom on my own, with maybe hiring people to do stuff like art work. The details arent important, but my point is that that's more like something you can tangibly make a living from. Enlightenment itself isn't, and not to devalue it, I'd rather be enlightened than rich lol, but i'd saying trying to work your way up the societal latter by getting extra skills and higher pay checks isn't a good way to go. I can see the appeal from a strategy perspective, it seems fine but when your actually on the ground doing it for four years day after day, your'e gonna hate it, and loose motivation probably. My plan at this point is to work a day job to make just enough money to eek by on a frugal lifestyle (I dont mind doing that at all) and use the time I have outside of that to enjoy life, self actualise, and work on my life purpose which is making games. I hope it works, and over the next few years I can make more and more of my income from publishing games and be able to quit a day job altogether after amount of time. That's the goal, I don't know if it'll work but I can adapt.

Anyway back to you, i'd say try to focus on living cheaply, maybe live in as inexpensive a place as you can and really be conscious of your budget. It really shouldn't matter to you as long as you have the free time to pursue self actualizing. See if you can find some creative type work that your passionate about, and maybe try to transition into making your income from that over time, but leave the corporate ladder on the table, I dont think that's gonna do you any favors. If your really serious about enlightenment, then the money / living problem will (I assume) become unimportant eventually as youll be happy with a very simple lifestyle that doesnt require much money at all. Good luck, let us know how it goes. 

9 hours ago, Pharion said:

yeah man im in a similar situation. I think one thing to consider that (according to Leo) enlightenment is not a life purpose. It's very important, but its different enlightenment is a state of being, whereas a life purpose is something tangible that you do so for me right now my life purpose as best as I can figure is that to be a game designer, and make and publish my own games from top to bottom on my own, with maybe hiring people to do stuff like art work. The details arent important, but my point is that that's more like something you can tangibly make a living from. Enlightenment itself isn't, and not to devalue it, I'd rather be enlightened than rich lol, but i'd saying trying to work your way up the societal latter by getting extra skills and higher pay checks isn't a good way to go. I can see the appeal from a strategy perspective, it seems fine but when your actually on the ground doing it for four years day after day, your'e gonna hate it, and loose motivation probably. My plan at this point is to work a day job to make just enough money to eek by on a frugal lifestyle (I dont mind doing that at all) and use the time I have outside of that to enjoy life, self actualise, and work on my life purpose which is making games. I hope it works, and over the next few years I can make more and more of my income from publishing games and be able to quit a day job altogether after amount of time. That's the goal, I don't know if it'll work but I can adapt.

Anyway back to you, i'd say try to focus on living cheaply, maybe live in as inexpensive a place as you can and really be conscious of your budget. It really shouldn't matter to you as long as you have the free time to pursue self actualizing. See if you can find some creative type work that your passionate about, and maybe try to transition into making your income from that over time, but leave the corporate ladder on the table, I dont think that's gonna do you any favors. If your really serious about enlightenment, then the money / living problem will (I assume) become unimportant eventually as youll be happy with a very simple lifestyle that doesnt require much money at all. Good luck, let us know how it goes. 

When I say enlightenment is my life purpose, I’m not saying that would be what I try to help people to do to. I’m not saying “my life purpose is just to be as enlightened as possible.” I’m saying that’s the impact I want to have in some way or another through some form of medium or domain. For example, your life purpose can be centered around enlightenment and be like Om Swami and Osho whose art form or ideal medium is writing. Or like Ken Wilber (though he’s a more advanced case I guess) and Leo who love to study this personal development and life and and all these things and study all the different nooks and crannies and details into life and your life purpose is still enlightenment centered in a sense. So what I’m saying with “enlightenment is my life purpose” is a very open thing because I don’t know what way I want that manifest at all in terms of my impact.

Yeah I hear you on living cheaply and stuff. I just have a lot of fear about that because to be honest I feel like I’m just going to crack internally. 

@kieranperez

Okay thanks for clarifying that, and that's really good to hear. I don't understand why it would be an issue to forgo material things (a nice house, expensive food and entertainment etc.) when your life is focused around mental game spiritual growth. Maybe you can me understand, is the fear just that you may not be able to provide enough at all? Are you afraid becoming homeless? I can understand that, especially in the United States where there is a lack of social safety net. 

@kieranperez

First, make a life worth waking up to.

If you really want enlightenment, commit to excelling at all areas of your life, learn what codependency is (mentally, relative to dad), be the best employee - turn that 10 hours into 40, creating opportunities to make more where you’re already at, and simultaneously anywhere else. Master attitude, master the inner game. There is no time for what you dont want, not one thought.  Shift from posting your “problems”, to informing us what your doing. Statements, no more questions, unless they are specific to assisting you. 

% of Californians employed 96% 

Median San Fran income: $77,734.00

Average studio rent in San Fran: $2,461

Average apartment rent in Stockton: $1,084

Min wage CA: 11$ x 40hrs = $440 x 4 weeks = $1,760 + 1 roommate (@40hrs x $11) = $3,520

$3,520 - 20% taxes = $2,816  -  rent $1,084 = $1,732 for fun, LP, trans, food, ins, etc.

You’re one attitude, one roommate, and one city from moving out.

And this is just one way to look at it. The point here, is it’s how you look at it, not what you’re looking at. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE