Slade

Toxic America - A Poem

1 post in this topic

I’m drowning. Drowning with the desire to drink on the weekends. Drowning with the desire to sit back and binge watch movies all day as I stuff my face with sugary foods. Drowning with the desire to blow a load into every hot girl I see. Drowning to escape this society. Drowning to get out of having to work under artificial lighting with nothing but the sounds of computers buzzing and people gossiping. The sounds, they’re tortuous. Priests speak of hell as some far off distant place but it can be found at your local Walmart. I watch as the zombies pick out their poison from the frozen food isle, how they walk past me with a 30rack case of beer that must be so heavy it’s the reason they have a hunch back. I watch as their skin seems to rot away under the fluorescent lighting. I watch as they take a vitamin supplement that reads “good for health” but it’s the farthest thing from nature you could consume. 

I’m drowning. I can’t bear to see it anymore. I fear that one day I’ll turn into a zombie like them and watch as news anchors bash on our president and I’ll laugh with them as I stuff my face with “gluten free” tortilla chips. 

I just want to be free. Free from this toxic life most people live. 

I want to be in heaven. Where I’m as free as the breeze that blows on my skin. Where ecstasy rains down on my body like a monsoon in the tropics, and I’m drowning in the unbelievable beauty of it. Where my love for life is stronger than the love I felt when I kissed the girl I thought I was going to marry. I want to feel the sounds of the forest like a symphony that vibrates my whole being into the rhythm of infinity.