Teags

Being Aware Of Thoughts

24 posts in this topic

The first thing I would recommend is to not overthink it!  I tend to agree with appleaurorae, is to let them fade out.  Each time a thought arises ... try to create some distance, say this is a thought, not my thought.  Be aware of any tendency to give any life, or identification to your thoughts ... that is, give them no attention.  One of the most powerful things you can do to anything ... an idea, a person, a thought, an emotion, is to give it your attention.  In the same light, feeling is given continuity by thought, as thought is given continuity to feeling, without the memory of thought to say, I want this (pleasure), or I don't want this (pain), the feeling will dissolve.  

I have found with my mediation, that after a while, almost 30-40 minutes, my minds gives up, the chatter stops.  This is why I tend to meditate for at least an hour.  Sometimes it does not happen, but when it does, it is well received, just stillness.  

Additionally, this practice does not have to be limited to mediation.  Anytime you find yourself caught up in a story line, just stop, and move your attention to the present moment.  Remind yourself of the reality of thought (as Leo mentioned), it is just images and sound, it is the identity that gives in meaning.  

Thank you everyone for your replies. They are all very helpful and I'm glad I'm not doing it wrong! I will continue to practise and use all the helpful hints you guys have given me :) 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:24 PM, Teags said:

I have been meditating for 20 minutes a day for about 6 weeks now. I have previously done meditation for a month here and there as well. What I am struggling with is being aware of my thoughts as they are happening. I find I can only be 'remember' them and not actually watch them as they are happening. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have a solution? Thanks :) 

@Teags There is no problem so there is no solution.

On April 1, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Teags said:

I have been meditating for 20 minutes a day for about 6 weeks now. I have previously done meditation for a month here and there as well. What I am struggling with is being aware of my thoughts as they are happening. I find I can only be 'remember' them and not actually watch them as they are happening. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have a solution? Thanks :) 

The present moment is always a projection of the past. So, you only remember thoughts from a projection of the past. You don't actually have first hand experiences of them.

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org