Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj

Knee Pain

9 posts in this topic

I have been sitting for about 4 hours per day for a few weeks now in quarter lotus and the burmeese pusture and I am starting to have alittle bit of knee pain that dosn't pass away after 5 minutes of getting up. Does anyone of you had any problems with your knees that comes from sitting in a lotuslike posture?

Edited by Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj

Hallå

I was sitting in the burmeese posture too until I got some ugly knee problems as well. The pain wasn't quite as strong when I was just standing or walking but I'm also a passionate runner and I was unable to run for about 6-8 weeks. From this incident on I'm only meditating while sitting in a chair. Perhaps there is a way to meditate in the half lotus or burmeese posture without getting such problems but I wont have these problems again and I don't think that the posture is so important in meditation .....

the only posture that is important is one that wont help you fall asleep

Flexibility for those postures should come from the hips. You can try doing hip flexibility stretches. Otherwise just use a chair or a stool without back support so you don't fall asleep. I wouldn't keep doing it if it's hurting your knees. They are inherently weak joints and not easy to fix if you have an accident.

I chilled down a little bit. It's fine now. I do about 60% of my meditation in a chair now. Still a little bit wired in my knees but it has passed away alot now and soon I can probably sit like i used to more.

Hallå

@Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj If the pain is moderate you can use a towel or something like that and place it between your thigh and calf on the back of your knee. Otherwise work on your hip flexibility and stop the sitting if the pain isn't stopping after meditation. 

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

@Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj If the pain is moderate you can use a towel or something like that and place it between your thigh and calf on the back of your knee. Otherwise work on your hip flexibility and stop the sitting if the pain isn't stopping after meditation. 

Thanks, I think I found my solution. Only 2 hours of the burmeese posture and the rest on a chair. The towel thing I will try out tomorrow. Thanks! :)

Hallå

13 hours ago, Ludwig said:

The towel thing really works, or I used a T-shirt but whatever. Thank you!

Hallå

1 hour ago, Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj said:

The towel thing really works, or I used a T-shirt but whatever. Thank you!

You're welcome. That probably indicates your rectus femoris is very tight. You might want to look into how to release it. (A lot on YouTube)