Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
electroBeam

How to practice airy fairy skills?

4 posts in this topic

For my life purpose I need to practice some skills that are not easily defined. Because of this I'm really struggling to nail down what exactly I need to do, and ways in which I can measure my progress and how well I went on a particular trial round.

Here is the skills I want to master:

Understanding reality as realistically and truthully as possible. I basically want to master the skill of western science. I want to understand experimental phenomena as realistically with as most clarity as possible.

Yet how do I practice this haha? 

What practice drills can I tangibly put in place to master the art of observation itself? Master understanding and clarity itself?

How do I figure out how well I am doing?

Secondly I want to master the art of teaching others a skill/ teaching others so that they understand certain phenomena in very clear, clarified and deep ways too. Again how do you practice teaching someone a concept? How do I measure myself and how good I am at this?

This is similar to mastering the skill of zazen. How the fuck do zen people train in zazen????? There is nothing tangible to measure? And even if you ask yourself questions personally like how much more clarity do I have on a daily basis, is my confusion decreasing, etc. These questions could be biased because you are biased + these questions may not even relate to zen. Its not like karate where its very tangible and specific what the move looks like, what the effect of the move is, etc. 

Any resources would be greatly appreciated!

17 hours ago, electroBeam said:

IUnderstanding reality as realistically and truthully as possible.

You don’t need drills, it’s everything Leo talks about. Meditation, yoga, self inquiry, psychedelics, contemplation, etc. Actually just understand it.

17 hours ago, electroBeam said:

Secondly I want to master the art of teaching others a skill/ teaching others so that they understand certain phenomena in very clear, clarified and deep ways too

This comes from a high degree of consciousness on your end. A great teacher often knows the thoughts of the student better than the student does. So you know how to put things in a way that they understand.

Practice is important here, but again you don’t need formal drills. How about answering questions on this forum? How about creating content on social media? Just start teaching, and you’ll start to notice what works and what doesn’t work.

5 hours ago, aurum said:

How about answering questions on this forum? How about creating content on social media? Just start teaching, and you’ll start to notice what works and what doesn’t work.

Thanks great suggestions! 

so something like asking the students for feedback, indirectly questioning them to get a sense of whether or not they deeply learnt the deep empirical phenomena, etc. 

19 hours ago, electroBeam said:

Thanks great suggestions! 

so something like asking the students for feedback, indirectly questioning them to get a sense of whether or not they deeply learnt the deep empirical phenomena, etc. 

Sure you could do that.