Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seeking_brilliance

spinal breathing help

6 posts in this topic

I am getting back into kriya practices.  I have no issue doing om jappa, but the spinal breathing throws me.  For some reason, I just can't bring the energy up from root to anja in one breath... I can do it, but it's slow and usually takes a few breaths to get it up, and then a breath or two to send it down. I'm sure its something that gets easier over time, but is practicing it this way going to hinder my progress?  Should my main focus right now to be sending it up in one breath, or can I continue the way I do and hope the issue will resolve with practice? 

Also, any tips on how to imagine that the rising current is cool, and is warm on the way down? I've tried imagining my hand in a bucket of ice and transferring that to the current in the spine, but it aint that easy... I wonder how important the cool and warm currents really are.... 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

What you mean that you cant bring energy from root to anja? I mean subjectively, do you feel energy/prana as tingling sensation or something? I'm still doing preliminary practices and cant feel anything in my spine really. Or is this prana/energy what you should move around something you cant sense at all?

@Sev yeah I guess its hard to talk about because you have to have a certain sensitivity to it  to "feel" it. And Im sure if you don't feel anything at all doesn't mean its not there. For me, I feel a heaviness, very slight tingling sensation. Tingling probably isn't the right word either, and can be misleading. Just very slightly prickly. Same feeling if you bring your awareness to your hands and let it pool up there, can you at least feel that in your hand?

Edited by seeking_brilliance

30 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

@Sev yeah I guess its hard to talk about because you have to have a certain sensitivity to it  to "feel" it. And Im sure if you don't feel anything at all doesn't mean its not there. For me, I feel a heaviness, very slight tingling sensation. Tingling probably isn't the right word either, and can be misleading. Just very slightly prickly. Same feeling if you bring your awareness to your hands and let it pool up there, can you at least feel that in your hand?

Thanks for clarifying, I think I know what you mean with hand example. Yeah, developing sensitivity to "feel" prana moving takes time for sure. I've been just little confused with this prana thing because everybody talks about it but I hadn't no idea what is it, how you detect it, should you feel it, Is it just something you should believe, etc. If I understood you correctly, you can sense something in your spine which you can identify as prana and move it in your practice.

@Sev so this is where it is still a bit confusing.  Like I said about the hand, that's what I feel in my chakras/ spine when doing the practices. But I have no idea if I am only feeling the awareness that I'm putting on them, or the prana. Perhaps prana isn't actually felt though, only the awareness. Or perhaps when I have stronger prana, it is something that can be felt which mingles with the feeling of placing awareness. I have no idea! lol. 

Anyway, if you are having problems feeling your awareness in your spine/chakras, try pooling it up in your hand and then consciously moving it up your arm and into your chest and down to the root. Would still take practice for beginners but I think it would be a great preliminary practice which I haven't seen mentioned in the books.  The reason it is easier to start in your hand is because it is something that can be seen, which aides in placing awareness on it. 

27 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

@Sev so this is where it is still a bit confusing.  Like I said about the hand, that's what I feel in my chakras/ spine when doing the practices. But I have no idea if I am only feeling the awareness that I'm putting on them, or the prana. Perhaps prana isn't actually felt though, only the awareness. Or perhaps when I have stronger prana, it is something that can be felt which mingles with the feeling of placing awareness. I have no idea! lol. 

Anyway, if you are having problems feeling your awareness in your spine/chakras, try pooling it up in your hand and then consciously moving it up your arm and into your chest and down to the root. Would still take practice for beginners but I think it would be a great preliminary practice which I haven't seen mentioned in the books.  The reason it is easier to start in your hand is because it is something that can be seen, which aides in placing awareness on it. 

Would be great if somebody experienced yoga practitioner could clarify these things, anyway thanks for helping me, I'll keep practicing.