electroBeam

Question about asking for help

2 posts in this topic

I feel like if you want to be successfully spiritually or career wise, you need to get help, or be taught by someone else. I think that you cannot be successful just by doing spirituality or your career by yourself. Every great spiritual master had at least a few teachers they would ask questions to, most of the eastern ones had a sort of apprentice/guru thing going on, where they would get taught by their guru on a very personal level.

So I have this underlying belief that if I want to be successful spiritual wise, I need to get help from somebody else. Yet I don't know what I need help in. I literally have no desire or I literally don't have any need to see a spiritual teacher face to face and ask them questions, except for the act of satisfying my belief said above. I am happy just sitting every morning for an hour, doing my bhakti yoga, empirically feeling what's going on, and then modifying my technique based on the empirical evidence.

When I go to a Buddhist center just for the sake of trying to get taught, my questions always feel inauthentic, because I am just asking questions for the sake of asking them, rather than for any real reason. Same goes with this forum, sometimes I ask questions on here just for the sake of feeling like I need to because I can't get enlightened by myself, I need some guidance surely. But every time I post a question, either here or in some meditation center, my mind always tells me that I will get a much better answer if I contemplate the question myself, rather than ask someone else. 

So considering I don't have an intuition on developing connections with spiritual teachers or startup mentors, how should I go about getting taught by them? How do I get value out of a meditation center without it seeming forced or inauthentic? I feel like having a spiritual teacher would be of massive value, yet I don't know how to have a teacher? How should I go about it?

Address your underlying beliefs, don't get bossed around by them.

The only requirement for spirituality is having access to Truth / God. Everything else is just a tool for that.

Spirituality is any movement towards the Unnamable. Everything is spiritual.

The only true way out Resistance is going into it because any way out of it is staying in it.

The purest life possible is surrendering to the Absolute.