Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
llumi

Knee problem (can't sit cross legged)

3 posts in this topic

About a few years ago I fell and my leg twisted outwards which injured my knee (right side). It hurt a few weeks really much, I went to doctor, they took pictures and all but didn't find any physical cause. Now, if I sit cross legged the inner side of my right knee starts hurting and the pain continues for days afterwards (sometimes the pain comes even without sitting cross legged, but more mildly). It's like tearing some tissue there apart, that's how it feels. Physician told me to strenghten my quadriceps and also do stretching. I also do ashtanga yoga 1-2x per week.

Do you have any suggestions how to heal my knee? It's weird to me because there was no physical cause to be found... I'm open to all kinds of suggestions, acupuncture, massage, special stretches etc.? :) Also I wonder if this has some mental/spiritual basis to it because all my physical problems are on the right side! 

I have the same thing going on with my knee, and until a couple months ago, this kept me from sitting for meditation,
but I have been putting in work to learn better movement patterns so that my leg behaves better in general. 
This has been a process and won't be fixed overnight, but it's totally worth it to work on fixing it, and I will share what I learned through my process. 

The symptom you have described is most likely compression of the medial/inner side of the right knee. 
This is probably due to an imbalance in the relationship between the muscles in the arch of the foot, the glutes, and your hip position. 
It's likely that one of those 3 things is not working in agreement with the other two, and this can manifest in a decreased range of motion when you try to externally rotate your right leg out to the side. Because your right leg probably has this decreased ability to rotate out to the side, this manifests in the inner corner of your knee feeling pain and compression when you sit cross legged for meditation. You may also feel the lateral/outer part of your right ankle feel discomfort and compression as it sits against the ground and that's another symptom of the same issue. 

Basically, you should work on increasing the range of motion that you can get when you externally rotate your leg out to the side. 
Part of that is learning to turn on your glutes and activate them while you walk around. Another part of that is making sure that when you walk, your knee tracks over your toes. If your knee and foot point in different directions when you walk, exercise, or do most things, that's a good recipe for knee pain. 

Here's a video of a yogi explaining this topic, hope this helps!

You probably got blockages in Muladhara. I had knee problems myself. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.