Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mess

Being Angry While Learning

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys, how can I overcome problem with being furiously mad while learning and can't trully understand content of book. I mean I am a law student and I have to deal with advanced level book. Almost every single sentence I have to read 4-5 times and be really focus on it. If I read for example 5 lines and realize that I have no idea what have just read I am beign angry and things going even worse than because I can focus on book. And there is also another problem with that thought come to my mind while reading and I am reading without understanding. It doesn't bother me with another not that hard book but still I have to read that advanced one aswell. How to overcome that?

@Mess Trascend your ego.  That will solve your problemxD

1 hour ago, Mess said:

Hello guys, how can I overcome problem with being furiously mad while learning and can't truly understand content of book. I mean I am a law student and I have to deal with advanced level book. Almost every single sentence I have to read 4-5 times and be really focus on it. If I read for example 5 lines and realize that I have no idea what have just read I am beign angry and things going even worse than because I can focus on book. And there is also another problem with that thought come to my mind while reading and I am reading without understanding. It doesn't bother me with another not that hard book but still I have to read that advanced one aswell. How to overcome that?

@Mess, Hi Nice to meet you.  Having a background in law at a different level and understanding the type of case law and other materials you might be reading I can appreciate your frustration.  There is a precision to "legalese" which impacts context making each word critical not only in its selection but its relation to the other words around it.

I suspect  you are experiencing a learning style issue.   I might suggest taking notes on your reading.  Some people learn via writing and the hyper focus of reading, writing and then speaking aloud commits the content to a deeper level of retention and also imparts more focus of clarity.   It may be that reading the material in and of its self is insufficient for your brain to process the complexity of the language without writing it which uses a different  portion of the brain. 

If the note taking helps and you find you can now focus?  The frustration should lesson.  I am also confident your course load requires hours per day of this type of complex reading; you might find music helpful to relax which can also help you focus more.  (Usually this would be instrumental music.)

I would also be kind to you because that course load is challenging and throws much personal material at you.   It might be very normal to be frustrated at times.   ;) 

Good Luck with your studies and let me know if you find something that works for you.

@Mess I've always made the experience that when I'm passionate about the stoff I learn, I have no problems with it, it's kind of flowing into me..

.. From this point of view.. If I were you, I would question my motivation..