Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anna Konstantaki

What Is A Zen Master?

10 posts in this topic

I know that some folks here might know one or even be one yourselves.

I guess you master... Zen? How do you do that and what is that exactly?

It's just a lable. Genuine Zen Masters would never call themselves Zen Master. "Zen Masters" are regular guys just like you and me who happened to realize who they are through means of Zen. (e.g. Zazen, Sitting through themselves till there is nothing left)

Zen is just one method where you can give all of yourself to whatever you are doing. It's not about sitting on a meditation cushion at all although it's one aspect of it. If taken to the very end it's a beautiful way.

@Saitama

By this i mean the end of self, the end of self delusion. Or better a seeing through the net of self entanglement. I'm just practically speaking, of course there is no end to the path as the deconstruction of self endlessly continues. And there is also no self to beginn with. 

With Zazen for example you can sit just through all the layers of this self delusion. You sit through thoughts till they are gone. Then sit through emotions till they are gone. Sit through pain, sit through your unconscious mind. Sit through your body. 

Until there is not a single thing left.

It's a 24/7 practice, like any other serious practice. If you think you can only meditate for 2h a day and become enlightened you never ever will. And people do this for 40 years and think they get better at Zen while they haven't taken a single step.

24/7 doesen't mean you meditate all day and you're conscious in every instant. It means that you can't live a self-centered life anymore, that the burning of wanting to know the truth is always with you. Although you might not always be aware of it. This burning grows and grows it becomes who you are, it eats up your life. By that i mean every concious instant becomes practice for you. You contemplate whenever you are conscious, being with friends becomes it's own practice, every free minute is filled with the longing to come back home. 

It's a very natural thing and need not to be forced in any way. THAN Zazen becomes beautiful. You can just give everything you have. Sitting meditation is the simplest thing ever, you don't have to do anything, so giving all of your self to that is way easier than applying yourself in everyday life. Of course sooner or later these distinctions merge together.

I hope this helps. Much love.

Edited by Ludwig

@Ludwig Sounds terribly hard and terribly rewarding. Is there some kind of community around this? I mean... Do you meet up for your meditations? Because I have heard of meditation circles on Hawaii where people do these extremely long 24/7 sessions... 

+You "sound" really peaceful. 

10 hours ago, Anna Konstantaki said:

@Ludwig Sounds terribly hard and terribly rewarding. Is there some kind of community around this? I mean... Do you meet up for your meditations? Because I have heard of meditation circles on Hawaii where people do these extremely long 24/7 sessions... 

+You "sound" really peaceful. 

That's what i wanted to point out. It's not about sitting 24 hours a day. Although that can be a valid thing too. It's about continuing the practice whereever you are. And again that's not a strict rule, it's a very natural thing that comes forth on it's own if one is genuine in his intent.

Edited by Ludwig

@Ludwig Ok, I understand. It is/becomes a life long practise that is not bound to a particular time, people, places or specific activities.

On March 19, 2016 at 11:17 PM, Ludwig said:

@Saitama

By this i mean the end of self, the end of self delusion. Or better a seeing through the net of self entanglement. I'm just practically speaking, of course there is no end to the path as the deconstruction of self endlessly continues. And there is also no self to beginn with. 

With Zazen for example you can sit just through all the layers of this self delusion. You sit through thoughts till they are gone. Then sit through emotions till they are gone. Sit through pain, sit through your unconscious mind. Sit through your body. 

Until there is not a single thing left.

It's a 24/7 practice, like any other serious practice. If you think you can only meditate for 2h a day and become enlightened you never ever will. And people do this for 40 years and think they get better at Zen while they haven't taken a single step.

24/7 doesen't mean you meditate all day and you're conscious in every instant. It means that you can't live a self-centered life anymore, that the burning of wanting to know the truth is always with you. Although you might not always be aware of it. This burning grows and grows it becomes who you are, it eats up your life. By that i mean every concious instant becomes practice for you. You contemplate whenever you are conscious, being with friends becomes it's own practice, every free minute is filled with the longing to come back home. 

It's a very natural thing and need not to be forced in any way. THAN Zazen becomes beautiful. You can just give everything you have. Sitting meditation is the simplest thing ever, you don't have to do anything, so giving all of your self to that is way easier than applying yourself in everyday life. Of course sooner or later these distinctions merge together.

I hope this helps. Much love.

i hear you ! great explanation !! ?@saitama

Edited by theinevitableandi