CreamCat

I can't stop thinking about buying a new mechanical keyboard.

5 posts in this topic

I used to be a programmer. Thus, I still have some baggages of computer addictions.

I already have a fascinating mechanical keyboard as the main keyboard and a cheap membrane keyboard for emergencies.

My mind keeps telling me to buy this specific mechanical keyboard as the new emergency keyboard so that I can dispose of my membrane keyboard.

I would have bought it already if I had enough money. I have been running low on money for months. A mechanical keyboard costs about 50~170USD. The tenkeyless mechanical keyboard that I have costed ~117USD. The keypad costed ~50USD. The new tenkeyless keyboard I consider buying costs ~50USD. It is cheaper because it is meant to be an emergency keyboard.

This voice has been going on for days. I'm in pain. I watched videos about keyboards, but the thirst doesn't go away. I discuss with myself whether or not I will benefit from this new keyboard. I thought addiction to mechanical keyboard was gone.

What practices do you recommend for dealing with this voice? Shall I take a day off to try some techniques Leo suggested for curing addiction?

Edited by CreamCat

You're trying to fill some void  by buying unnecessary stuff - something I've been guilty of myself. First step is to realize no purchase is going to complete you, it might give you an initial euphoria/fullfilment which will fade and off to the next buy.

Take a day off of work to work on techniques? Just do a couple hours of inquiry into the issue, break down why you feel empty. And shortcut in meantime is replace the urge with something else you can obsess about - like working out, or whatever.

Right, it was fear of emptiness. Although I took notes of videos, I still forget.

mpv-shot0002.jpg

mpv-shot0001.jpg

mpv-shot0003.jpg

Those pictures are me who cannot decide whether or not to buy something.

mpv-shot0004.jpg

mpv-shot0005.jpg

Dr. Hirsch is my own voice that tells me to pull the trigger (buy the damn keyboard) and lose myself.

Edited by CreamCat

Buy one, worth it. 

1 hour ago, Quanty said:

Buy one, worth it. 

Yeah, if you have the money.

You'll have regrets if you don't do it.

And you'll have regrets if you do it as well.

So whatever...

If you don't have the money, don't. Simple.

I mean your deep passion for mechanical keyboard is not insane, you're just passionated about what you do.

It's part of a vision.

Try not to use that materialistic approach, to don't do things (your mind likes to trick you in that way).

Doing is more important than having.

Personally, I like the idea of having great results out of cheap items, and optimizing stuff.

I only have second hand (perfect condition) of 10 years old products (mp3 player, camera, laptop, cellphone...)

It works like a charm, and it's retro-cyberpunk vibe.

I would suggest you try to understand why you really want this keyboard ?

What does it mean to you ?

What are the emotional connection ?

Any related past experience ? Who were you, where were you, doing what ?

Is it the keyboard ? Or "you" that matter in the end ?

Edited by Soulbass