Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thehero

Reaching my absolute potential - thehero

22 posts in this topic

The purpose of this journal is to depict my journey, share insights that may help people, talk about my day and journal whatever it is I want to journal

This will help me keep a log of my life, not keep repeating the same sticking points, help me move forward into the greatest possible life that I can possibly live. Live into my upmost potential. 

Sort of like Joseph Maynor's Journal. I really liked how he edits things and improves them overtime 

Edited by thehero

5/28/18

What I want to journal about: 

- Morning routine 

- Top sticking points 

- How to not repeat the same mistakes 

Today's topic: 

Purpose of this 

Growth Mindset:

Carol Dweck talks about mindset. 

In her studies she notices that when skill building people have two types of mindsets. 

One being a fixed mindset vs growth mindset

Fixed Mindset: When someone believes their abilities to be fixed

Examples: 

- I am bad at X subject 

- I can't overcome a challenge

- I can't be social 

- I am bad at X sport (basketball, tennis) 

Growth Mindset: When someone believes their abilities can be worked on and improved 

- I can get good at X subject with practice

- I can overcome this challenge with time and effort 

- I can practice being social and get good at being social 

- I can practice this sport and get good at the sport 

A person with a fixed mindset doesn't look at challenges that can be overcome, but rather as 

[to be continued]

How to overcome not finishing tasks/goals? 

Do you have a tendency to start things and not finishing them?  

What do I mean by this?:  

- Attempting a challenge and quitting after some time 

- Doing something half-way and not finishing through 

Sticking points:  

- Don't feel like doing it 

- Seems too challenging or overwhelming 

- Excitement wears down and the challenge kicks in

Solution:  

One main reason we quit something is because when we are confronted with challenges and obstacles, we tend to throw in the towel because it gets too hard.  

We don't want to go through that challenge, because we label the feelings of challenge and obstacles as something bad rather than realizing that the challenges and obstacles are:

1) Simply part of the journey 

2) Discomfort and challenge are feelings that make you stronger and better   

If you want to learn a difficult move in basketball, or a solve something in your programming, or solve a deep philosophical questions. All of these things are challenging

It's important to realize that these feelings of challenge are the period where you grow into your next level. 

They're not a period where you give up because it's too difficult 

Rather it's a period where you're on the path to obtaining mastery in that field. 

You start something with interest or excitement

Then eventually you run into you first obstacle. This is where you are challenged and it's difficult 

If you persist, you'll eventually overcome the challenge 

When you run into your first obstacles, you will face feelings of frustration, challenge, or being overwhelmed. 

Recognize that the path to mastery of anything has included those feelings, you just need to have the grit to endure it until the end

This is a great opportunity to strengthen your ability to be mindful in that situation and train your "grit" 

Thinking about the reward is very motivating 

I'm at that point now where I enjoy the challenge because I know this is where I am growing. 

Even when contemplation is difficult, I enjoy it because I'm getting things and I feel like I'm moving forward. I think also because I get into flow 

You're not growing if it's easy.

Do you get faster at running if you walked?

Do you lift more if you lift 5 lbs? 

One Important Aspect Of Success: Consistency 

What is consistency?

Consistency is the work you put in daily towards a vision. It's about doing the daily work and task to get to your vision. 

Success is created by a compounding effect of daily disciplines that eventually lead to your goal. 

Success isn't created out of nowhere, like people seem to think. People don't create a massive business out of nowhere or lose 200 lbs out of nowhere. They put in hard work over a long period of time. 

A business is created by putting in a large body of work. There is a certain amount of work that is required to make a business successful. It can take several hundred hours. Those several hundred hours are spread out over months of time. 

You have to spend couple days learning finance, couple days learning your specific business model, couple days implementing strategy, couple days working on mindset, couple days networking with people etc. The exact breakdown varies due to many different factors such as personality type, environment, if you have partners, business model etc. 

Those hours add up to eventually you making that success. 

I think an analogy I can make is that it's like your building a brick 2 bedroom house with your hands. You put as many bricks in a day as you can. But each day you only put 1% of the total bricks on it. You could put more, maybe 3%, but you have your family to look after etc. Over the course of 100 days, you finally build it. 

Some examples of consistency leading to success: 

- A mere 200 calorie deficit a day is 21 lbs a year. You won't notice the progress that much over a month, but over a year, you will 100% see the difference from pictures. 

- Building a business by putting in 3 hours a day. Spend a day doing taxes, spend a few days learning & doing marketing, spend a day setting up the legal part etc. Day to day, it might not seem like much progress, but as long as you're doing something everyday, eventually you'll hit your goal. Efficiency can speed up this process by a lot 

- Talking to women by approaching 3x a day over the course of 1 year is 1000 women. That's a shitload of experience. I think I remember reading somewhere that 2/10 women will be interested in you.  Of course there's loads of factors. I haven't much experience in this area though. 

- 30 minutes of contemplation a day for years is a butt-load of experience. That's 150 hours of contemplation over a year.

- Saving $500 / mon in your paycheck over 5 years is $30,000. Saving $2,000/month is $120,000 

A great tool to get this into action is turning the endeavor into a daily habit. That way, it will become a habit that is part of your personality and will get compounded over time. Every month or so, you build another habit, and another habit and over time you have many great habits that are slowly compounding your massive success over time :)

Building habits though... That's a topic in itself. One that is challenging, and one that I am learning myself how to implement. 

I have found my new love: Philosophy.

The mother of results.

A deeply fulfilling activity. 

Flow. 

My intuition is saying to cut off my friend :(

I don't know if it's my intuition actually or if it's even right

But I do know I am suffering deeply from the relationship :(

Can it be salvaged?

Don't know. </3

3 hours ago, thehero said:

My intuition is saying to cut off my friend :(

I don't know if it's my intuition actually or if it's even right

But I do know I am suffering deeply from the relationship :(

Can it be salvaged?

Don't know. </3

You change another person.

Most people dont change, so, leave him.

@Ether Ah yes :( Harsh truth. Hope you're wrong. I'm going to try to salvage it as much as possible. But I'm also open to letting go 

Something I noticed: 

Leo once said to be careful of the content that you put into your eyes and ears 

I notice that music I listen to in the morning, I find myself singing to it later

I notice that if I watch some video, I end up thinking about that topic. I think I also contemplate it over and over again. 

I also bring up these topics in discussions 

If I consume a lot of good content, I find myself using those insights occasionally 

But I also find that too much content bogs down my brain and causes info saturation

----

I also noticed right now that contemplation takes time. I may not develop the insight now. But by being focused and directed, I think I am making a lot of progress. Thank you Leo for all of your contemplation videos. This is amazing along my journey and I hope to use it grow. I am along my Hero's Journey and I'm excited to see what's to come. 

----

I want to raise my consciousness in many areas. Increase my mindfulness, and increase my contemplation. Let's go to the moon baby. 

Self-awareness insights:

- I deeply desire to care and love a depressed/hurt person. To nurture, love and bring them back to health. 

- I've noticed I have this thing of trying to receive love by displaying my hurt. It's like my way of receiving love from the other person. Hahaha. 

I've noticed I did this when I was younger. I would show that I was hurt to my parents when they've hurt me so that I could receive their love. I would hide underneath my bed to try and get them to look for me after they yelled or I would not talk to them for days to try and get love from them. 

I watch a lot of cheating prank videos. I think I watch this because I want to see the other person care.

Wait holy FUCK. I just noticed those two self-awareness insights are similar! Oh my god something bigger at play here

Is this way I see love?

When I was a kid. I would notice my mom would pout when my dad hurt her and my dad would try to console her. Hmmm...

Edited by thehero

[Incomplete] Working on this quote: 

"What prevents growth? Ungratified deficiency-needs, the attractions of safety and security, the functions of defense and protection against pain, fear, loss, and threat, and the need for courage in order to grow ahead."

-- Abraham Maslow

What is growth first of all?

Growth to my understanding is the human growing in some manner.

There's two types of growth

Root growth vs Surface growth. Leo uses the words real growth vs fake growth.

Root growth is when you solve an issue at its core. Such that, the issue that occurred at the surface no longer occurs. 

An example of this would be if you have an anger problem for when people call you short. 

You can solve this problem by not hanging out with people that call you short. 

However, this does not fix the root issue. 

Because, you are still get hurt and insecure about being short 

So, you may have stopped getting angry, but this is just surface level growth. 

Root growth would be getting to what the core issue of the problem is and solving that. 

Because when you solve and heal the core, the insecurity 

It could be a childhood problem where you were bullied for being short. 

That's not to say surface level growth is not useful! If you are getting bullied all the time with people calling you short, leave them! 

You'll feel better in the short-term. 

You can also get better later by doing personal development exercise that 

Edited by thehero

How to optimize my day: 

Today I failed at finishing my personal development work. But that's okay, this is just all part of the journey. It's a very fulfilling process. 

Why did I fail?

- Noticed I made an excuse to play video games

-> Behavior change: Recognize that you may not feel like it, but you must do whatever it takes to get the minimum completed. 

- Made an excuse to masturbate

-> Behavior change: Recognize that the mind will come up with any excuse to get you to not work!

- I went for lunch with family and when I came back, the first thing I should have done was went right to beginning my blocks. 

Is going to the library okay to work?

Sometimes I hate work alone in solitude. It gets boring. But I say: Let's go work at the library. But what happens is I go to the library, get food, procrastinate some more, get fed up and say "let's go work at home". So I go back home and procrastinate more! It's an endless fucking cycle of procrastination! 

Sometimes it feels too challenging and stressful, which is why it may not happen all the time. 

I failed because the block seemed to challenging and not enjoyable. Therefore, there was a heavy amount of resistance and I did not get the block done. I really want to be able to conquer this. 

How do I conquer this? 

Recognize that resistance is the gate that you must open to reach your success. Because on the other side of resistance is the pot of gold - what you desire.

You are 100% committed, so no matter the sickness, no matter the issue, you 100% get it done. 

I should have got my exercise done. I really just didn't feel like it. Therefore, I did not consciously get my blocks done at all. 

It feels really bad, and I feel hopeless and guilty. It really makes me feel powerless when I do not accomplish my blocks. However when I have a good streak, I feel confident and worthy. 

The hardest part is just the starting, once the block begins, it's much easier to continue and many times it's not bad at all. Especially if I do the block consciously and mindfully. It's kind of like momentum builds. Just start, and the work almost happens by itself. 

Some things I want to tackle: 

Doing a block where I just sit and try to remember something for 20 minutes straight. 

Make my blocks in my mind as enjoyable as possible and also figure out a way to make them as enjoyable as possible. 

Key takeaways: 

100% commitment to the routine. Because otherwise your mind will come up with excuses. 100% commitment to the minimum. Goal is maximum but commitment is to the minimum. 

Going to the library is fine. But there cannot be use of phone, computer , or distractions to ensure that you are not being lulled by the distractions. 

Edited by thehero

Edited by thehero

who speaks to me

teal swan

project life mastery

leo gura

brian johnson

How do I feel competent? 

Feelings of competence arise when I have a challenging task, I embrace the challenge, and overcome it. I feel alive, competent and loving life. I also feel good about myself. 

Lack of competence arises when I have a challenging situation and I run. When I do this, I am telling myself that, this challenge is too much for me. I feel like trash and I feel hopeless to my problems. 

All this self-improvement shit doesn't work if you don't have a vision lol. 

fuck all the tools. 

You need a vision first.

didnt even know that you can "solve" problems. why didnt anyone tell me this?

FUCK academia 

doesn't know how to truly heal and breeds dogmatic people

I am ready to full embody Orange

Fuck not doing orange stuff. I AM orange, i will breathe orange, and I will move as deep as i possibly can into orange

after i become a competent orange, i will take psychedelics every week for a year 

Edited by thehero

but - i also see my the beginnings of transferring into green, as leo was exactly describing in his last video! excitement into this whole new paradigm, all this new spiritual teachings, a new world. i also am starting to develop a love for people. i can see people just for who they are. they're all hurt. just like me. some hurt less than others. and love is such a powerful love. because at the end of the day, all we all want is love. it's our innate desire to love. it sucks that there are so many girls not about that. but honestly, thats just the surface. because all the girls i know, are all kind, loving beings. redpill had me thinking that girls are gold diggin assholes. fuck mgtow, fuck redpill, fuck incel, fuck blackpill, fuck pickup lol. it's all BS dogma. not compeltely tho. there's truth to them all. mgtow is right about being an independent man. redpill is right about there being biological parts of dating. i'm not sure where the truth in incels is. pickup is right that talking and attracting women is a skill

mgtow is really appealing though. thought that maybe i could attract girls through similar interests. but im learning not that either. im not even going to try to look attractive to girls anymore. im just going to do me. forever 

Edited by thehero

1) Be wary of all your teachers. they are not perfect, watch out for their own shortcomings/limiting beliefs/hidden agendas/imperfection/dogmas that can push you in the wrong direction. They are not perfectly conscious. I have found myself repeating my own teachers shortcomings. Leo's distaste for Jordan Peterson transferred onto me. RSDtyler's distaste for some progressive ideas has transferred onto me. 

2) Be wary of people giving you advice. Remember to listen to YOUR heart, and YOUR desires before listening to people. If you don't have your own life plan, people will put you on their life plan. I am very intimate with being persuaded into wrong directions, due to a lack of my own, unique, authentic vision. 

3) Cut out negative influences as much as possible. IT WILL RUN YOU. Ever remember having a song being played on repeat even though you only had it once? Or maybe a negative thought a friend gave you? Small words, sentences will get entered into your subconscious! BE CAREFUL.