Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Solace

The most socially accepted addiction: Technology

3 posts in this topic

An addiction is when you do something in an attempt to change the way you feel. Being on our phones, Computers, watching TV, netflix are a part of our lives we ought to examine. They are parts of our lives where we could take more time to love our hearts by doing what truly relaxes us, loving our heart or perhaps meditating for a few moments.

Ask yourself, am I really growing by being on this device? Could I make a more inspiring choice?

Watch for a few minutes from 28:00. 

Edited by Solace

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

I am very well aware of the way modern digital technology is changing people's everyday lives and am quite, well, disillusioned by how zoned out and distracted many persons seem to be. I see this every day, people staring at their mobile screens while walking, crossing roads or driving and not paying attention to their immediate surroundings (I'm coming from the bicycle riders perspective here - everyday there are close encounters with the sphombies). 

I used to be quite enthusiastic about technological progress and certain developments as a young adult, but nowadays, in the age of drone warfare, mass survailance, user data tracking and in-your-face media-manipiulation, I tend to shy away from blindly participating in this highspeed -lifestyle. 

I do own a TV -screen/monitor to watch DVDs and blu rays; don’t need a TV-cable since I quit TV around 2007. I don’t have netflix, HBO or amazon-streaming since I don’t have a highspeed internet-access, not even a desktop PC (but that's because of money reasons...) I have been at the point where I used to be online up to eight hours a day, half of that time went to watching videos on youtube... though entertaining and often very valuable (like Leo's videos or some in-depht Interviews with directors, cinematographers, book authors and journalists), that's a big chunk of time that's gone. 

Nowadays, I do have tablet and a 5 Gigabyte limit of internet access per month, which means mostly reading on forums and daily news. Anything streaming- or video-related, I need to go to a free WiFi -area (which used to be at work, but nowadays is mostly the nearby mall) and download it, then copying to a USB stick to watch on my monitor. There's quite some "effort" involved this way, like in the old days when going to the video-store *lol*, but that's okay... this helps that I don’t overdose (like I used to when I had a highspeed internet access in my appartement) on online stuff and also actually watch and LISTEN, instead with one finger on the mouse to click away any second. 

Also, I'm currently on my third mobile phone (it even has a tiny 1.3 megapixel camera!) in my life and don’t plan on ever spending money on a 'smart phone'. 

Edited by Ex Astris Scientia

Hi.

Thank you for opening this great topic.

I have to admit to myself that I'm addicted to technology.

That's not OK but I'm using it for Self-Actualization and not for playing games like I used to do before.

I watch Leo's videos on YouTube and I learn a lot.

I like reading topics on forums and so forth...

How about you guys?

Me on the road less traveled.