Alt3ia

To pursue Medicine or Game Design??

7 posts in this topic

So I have an extreme passion for both Chinese Medicine (herbal medicine) AND for Game Designing/ Animation

Now Im in my last year of highschool and have to choose what degree to pursue after I graduate.
I'm at a crossroad because if I take the Chinese Medicine course, I am practically guaranteed a job and I will be graduating as a Doctor (of chinese med) at the age of 23, so you can see that is a pretty good deal itself.
On the other hand I also really love drawing and gaming, and my selected college has global connections that are promising so I will also gain a job after graduating from this degree. 

But I cant do both because pursuing one or the other is full time and to graduate from one, I will have to dedicate my life to it, if I don't, it would be a waste of money put into college funds to study both and only be able to really dedicate to one. 

the pros for both is that I will be able to travel with both jobs. The only difference is, I am guaranteed a steady wage with Chinese Medicine and with Game design/Animation, my wage may not be steady or even guaranteed for the first few years. 

BUT if I do succeed with animation, I could really make money. (money isn't my priority though but it is definitely a variable to consider if we are speaking realistically)

so I just want to know anyone's opinion on what I should do? or just thoughts on my situation or your own personal experiences in either industries?? 

What are you willing to bleed and sacrifice the most for?Is it meaningful to pursue more medicine because of what vision you can acomplish or game design?

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

I found that discovering the thing that I want to do takes a lot of soul searching and trying. I found mine finally, it took me about 2 years tough. It is hard to decide at a cross road because you're still unsure. A question that really helped me is:

Do I really stand behind this medium or practice? Do you believe this practice is the one that can change the most lives for the positive?

Because either one you choose once you get good at it and in flow you will feel great doing it. So it's not a matter of if you will like the activity, once you push yourself in flow you'll create good feelings of worth and such. It's more about the belief behind the practice or skill.

Do you think Animation/Game Design can change the most lives for the better or is it Chinese Medicine the thing that will change the world?

For me I will finish my Computer Science degree but I don't believe software can have as much impact as a good video, videos changed my life in the past way more than any software ever did. I chose for animation. Btw Chinese Medicine sounds gangster! I would be really interested in it, never new it was a real thing.

Good luck on your journey!

Edited by dude
Language

@dude

Thanks dude,

I totally get where you're coming from, been thinking about what could make a bigger impact on the world around me but here I am stuck at another loophole because BOTH can help people especially with BOTH game technology and medicine increasing in demands in the near future. 

everyone tells me that choosing either will be good either way and if I don't like one I can move to the other, which is true but there's just something about doing that makes me feel like I'm wasting time going back and forth. OR that I want to do both but not have enough time for it. 

but for real thanks for your insights! all the best with your career, can I suggest youtube as a possible path for you? It's something I do and hearing you like videos too, makes me feel like you would also enjoy doing it :)

@Alt3ia

13 hours ago, Alt3ia said:

makes me feel like I'm wasting time going back and forth.

I totally get it. But remember you're never wasting time when you are doing things you enjoy doing! Also consider as a option that somehow combining the two can possibly create a great niche. Maybe put one on the back-burner while you are studying, but when you are done integrate the two. Gamification in medicine for example (a very crude one of course I'm sure there are better options)

13 hours ago, Alt3ia said:

can I suggest youtube as a possible path for you?

Hahaha how ironic, check out the video. If you got any pointers for me post them in the comments on YT or just personal message me on here!

@dude Oh man! your videos are pretty high end! I guess coming from a computer science degree was worth it :)

6 hours ago, dude said:

@Alt3ia

I totally get it. But remember you're never wasting time when you are doing things you enjoy doing! 

this really opened my eyes, I think I'm going to apply for both and see which one I lean more towards by the time the offers come out (that is if I get an offer for both)! but which ever I go I know it will not be a waste of time now :)

Also you should make videos on topics that are really simple concepts but described in a very intellectual way, I feel like that would be so interesting to watch, you kind of have the voice for it! (like why apples are better than coffee to wake you up in the morning)

I hear you say I can’t and I hear impatience and doubt. You CAN!! I understand being a doctor can soak up a ton of hours but seriously... why not both? Obviously one after the other. I’m a pro dog trainer, 7 days a week.. 8+ hours and walk 16+ miles per day. I’m also taking courses to become a licensed therapist. I hope to be able to bring the two together. I can train dogs for obedience, hunting, therapy AND be a therapist! I guess your choices don’t mix so well but my point stands. Also I am (or was, just rusty)... okay I should say I have potential as an artist and musician. These are all things I want to explore! The latter two more as just hobbies/fun. I suppose as you get older you will find you certainly can do all of the above and then see what sticks. ?

edit: It’s about life fulfillment. For me, I get to be outside all day, mostly alone other than the dogs. Traveling,  blue skies, rain or snow, mountains, the field the birds and flowers. Teaching dogs to hunt really brings a lot of joy and gives a sense of.. well I’m not sure the word but hunting with dogs has been around since basically forevers! The bond is such an amazing experience. At the same time, I’ve always been exceptional at getting inside other people and inspiring them if they’re open to it so I also want to pursue being a therapist.. I too want to help others it was my first career choice that I opted to put on the back burner at your age. Soon I can do both and IMO dogs and therapy go together very very well. Once I’ve created enough capital to build my own boarding/training facility that can run with less of my attention I can then put even more effort into helping/inspiring people. Anyway getting off on a ramble here, just thought I’d share my story and hope you can relate your passions to what I said. Take care and best of luck! 

Edited by M4NTiC0R3X
Additional thoughts/story time ramble.