Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mess

How Can I Be Sure While Meditation

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

This question bother me from the moment I started meditation. So have been doing it for 2 months so far. I did like 8-14 minuts meditation per day and for about month I didn't skip any day. How can I be sure if I am doing things right because I don't notice anything special and foremost I dont even know what should I gain from meditation.

10 minutes ago, Mess said:

I didn't skip any day

Good! Keep doing it. :)

In my eyes 8-14 min are not enough at all. I've started with 20 minutes, now I'm at 40-60 min. I somehow need the first 20 minutes to calm my mind down (It's always quite chaotic there xD) and especially for stop thinking. Be present, no thoughts on what you are going to do this day, no worries, no time for fantasy land, nothing but the present moment.

... but before I'm going to write a huge text here, maybe this video will help:

10 minutes ago, Mess said:

I didn't skip any day

Good! Keep doing it. :)

In my eyes 8-14 min are not enough at all. I've started with 20 minutes, now I'm at 40-60 min. I somehow need the first 20 minutes to calm my mind down (It's always quite chaotic there xD) and especially for stop thinking. Be present, no thoughts on what you are going to do this day, no worries, no time for fantasy land, nothing but the present moment.

... but before I'm going to write a huge text here, maybe this video will help:

2 hours ago, Mess said:

How can I be sure if I am doing things right because I don't notice anything special and foremost I dont even know what should I gain from meditation.

Hey dude, if your are sitting for 8-14 minutes every day - this is the indicator that you are doing it right. You don't need to sit longer as stated above and I would recommend to you to at least sit another month for that time span and maybe then increase to 20 minutes. That's because you really want to get the habit in your psyche first before pushing yourself too much.

If you have no clear mind, that's fine. If you have compulsive thinking going on in the sit, that's fine. Everything that occurs while you sit in that time is fine and can not even be categorized as progress or not progress.

Here is why: If you meditate a little longer you'll get a good feel of the following. Your unconscious will purge from time to time shit out of your system. This often manifests as thoughts in your day-to-day meditation. That can lead to very, very intense sits in which you have no peace - no nothing. Than there are other phases in which you are completely at peace, in the no-mind zone and super calm.

And then you have standard sits in which you have a little of both. The one thing meditation will free you from is the prison of having to be sure about anything - neurotically clinging to shit you can't control.

So, you're just doing fine. While keeping your practice look for the following things in your life to occur:

• being less neurotic (e.g. double-checking alarms, locked doors, eating your finger nails)
  • being more relaxed
  • being more focused
  • feeling free
  • being detached from your feelings + external stimulation

Now, don't get me wrong. I meditate for a year now for about 60 minutes every day and I have all of these stated points above in my life. However, even for me I have weeks in which they are lower or non-existent. But generally these points will increase.

This is however not the goal of meditation. Meditation has no goal and these points are side effects of sitting with yourself unhooking from all the dump neurotic shit our society does all day. So relax, and just go on. B|

PS: If you don't see the points stated above manifest in your life, wait a little longer or increase your sitting time at some point. But chill, the worst thing to do with meditation is to worry that you are doing it wrong. You can not do it wrong, take this statement and off you go.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.