ZenDog

Do Affirmations Really Work?

10 posts in this topic

Lately I started doing positive affirmations. 

I just feel it is so silly when im doing them, it just seems so extremely simple.

As of now I plan on doing my current affirmations for 90 days. But I have a hard time believing they are actually gonna make a difference.

Has anyone here tried positive affirmations and actually felt a difference?

They can work if you don't have any limiting beliefs that would negate your affirmations. Your beliefs always win.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@ZenDog Also, visualizing what you want might be extremely powerful.. you can do it simultaneously :)

@Jawor I know its powerful from all the books ive read. My mind just dosent believe it cus its so simple.

Have you felt any effect from them in your perosnal experience?

I tried them only a couple of times right before some stressful or important moments to put myself in a better state. Worked pretty well, but it's not something I would do regularly.

I did them for a few months combined with visualisations, every day for 10-15 mins.

At first I also didn't believe them, but the point is that you don't want only to say the affirmation, but you really want to feel the emotion involved with it. You have to be willing to imagine that the affirmation has already come true. Ask yourself, how would you feel if it's already true? Then try to hold on to this feeling during your affirmation sessions, until one day you will hopefully come to the realisation that the affirmation really became true. For instance, if your affirmation is "I am confident", you will notice that something in your behavior or thought patterns probably has changed, that there was a shift which makes you feel more confident. 

For me personally, affirmations are a grat technique to reprogram your subconscious mind, but I found out that you have to keep doing them again and again for months to make them actually stick. I did them for 2-3 months and felt great during that time, but as soon as I was over, the positive effects started fading away and limiting beliefs started creeping back on me. 

I don't want to discourage you, just keep going it's a great technique, but remember that this is a long-term process and that you'll have to return to your affirmations whenever you feel insecure about them. Reprograming the subconscious mind isn't easy and it requires some work. Hopefully you'll make the affirmations stick. 

Good luck :) 

If you doubt yourself, they won't work.