Veggies

Accountability Partnership Doesn't Outright Help A Lot, Does It?

5 posts in this topic

It was during a rainy autumn when we ran this accountability partnership deal with a friend of mine via phone calls on a daily basis: We just ended up witnessing its inefficiency.

To put it blunt, we both appeared to have the same problem – bad sleep patterns. Hence in retrospect this accountability partnership deal of ours seemed like beating around the bush, avoiding the actual problem.

Of course though, poor sleep patterns are among the hardest obstacles to solve and even the brightest minds of our wide globe struggle with explaining the reasons for failing to waking up at a previously set time. "Go to sleep earlier" hardly suffices as a working solution and as a matter of fact the amount of sleep hours is often irrelevant in comparison to a more meaningful issue: Your own wandering, lost-but-whole mind.

Ah, the ramble. What is your experience with accountability partnerships? ¬¬

Excellence is the same as habit. When you constantly do something, you might become excellent at it. -Aristotle

Mine so far has been good. I also realized that sometimes you need to have some repercussions for not getting things done. For instance, once I said to my accountability partner that I would buy him a drink (it's expensive (!), while I hate wasting money. Besides, I am not a fan of alcohol), if I don't succeed in doing the job. I must say that was probably the most powerful thing that made me accomplish the task. 

1 hour ago, ElenaO said:

Mine so far has been good. I also realized that sometimes you need to have some repercussions for not getting things done. For instance, once I said to my accountability partner that I would buy him a drink (it's expensive (!), while I hate wasting money. Besides, I am not a fan of alcohol), if I don't succeed in doing the job. I must say that was probably the most powerful thing that made me accomplish the task. 

Glad that you found an effective function, @ElenaO. I recall Mr Gura having said that repercussions aren't the finest option though because like if a fat man tortures himself for every donut, in the long run fats will return. Regardless, I'm sure repercussions can be used in moderation.

Excellence is the same as habit. When you constantly do something, you might become excellent at it. -Aristotle

7 hours ago, Veggies make me fart said:

Glad that you found an effective function, @ElenaO. I recall Mr Gura having said that repercussions aren't the finest option though because like if a fat man tortures himself for every donut, in the long run fats will return. Regardless, I'm sure repercussions can be used in moderation.

I agree and I know that negative motivation isn't good in the long run. But right now I would take what I can, until I develop the right habits. If positive motivation ain't working... 

4 minutes ago, ElenaO said:

I agree and I know that negative motivation isn't good in the long run. But right now I would take what I can, until I develop the right habits. If positive motivation ain't working... 

I believe that as long as you're not self-actualized, which is forever, you always will need to borrow from wrong habits a bit to succeed. Perhaps the amount of negative choices will become slimmer however as you grow.