Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dovahkiin

Questions following Leo's Food Video

3 posts in this topic

Hey all! There are a couple things I'm wondering after finishing Leo's video; I did my own research where I could (i.e. on wheat's industrial history), but am still wondering a few things, and hoping someone might be able to guide me:

1. Why is deli meat so bad? Is it just because it's commonly not grass-fed?

2. What about kefir? It's supposed to be mostly lactose-free from fermantation, so it is an acceptable compliment to kombucha for probiotics?

3. What do you guys make of dining hall food, assuming one sticks to whole foods and still avoids everything on the bad list? I'm about to be a graduate student considering making this a part of my diet, but feel as if dining halls might likely be taking shortcuts even on simple vegetables, meats, etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1.) MSG, Nitrates, sugar, ...the list goes on and on. Just avoid it. Only thingud say that is good is high quality bacon (one thats not filled with sugar-you can see whether it has sugar after you cook it and drain the fat into a cup. When the cup solidifies, if its white/creme colored, your good. if its brown-ish or 'caffe" colored, it has sugar. Many packages that say 0gram sugar still will have sugar in it-be warned! (i assume you mean deli meat for like sandwhiches and stuff not the raw meat?)

2.)kefir is ok but then again look at the ingrediants of the bottle, it will be stuffed with excessive amounts of sugar. id eat sauerkraut or kimchi for your probiotics. if you find an organic kefir without sugar or better yet one that is so fresh it lasts only a few days after bought then go with that. i dont get the whole kombucha obsession, personally it made me have super watery poop everytime and become rly gassy. tmi.

3.)like leo said, restaurants and served food to the public will always try to get away with using the cheapest, low quality foods. Im 99.999% sure all of the veggies and fruit at the dining hall will NOT be organic. The meat will probably be anitibiotic filled. If you eat one meal at the dining hall, and 1-2 home-made high quality meals, then that would probably be ok. especially if your healthy right now. if your have health-issues, best to avoid the dining hall 

Thanks, this helps for sure, and makes sense. I have found kefir that isn’t filled with sugar so I’ll stick with it. I only mention kombucha because the two seem to have different probiotics, so drinking both covers more bases, but I admittedly don’t know a ton in that area. 

And yeah, I meant cold-cuts and the like. I’ll sill purchase raw meat, bacon, etc. Appreciate the response.