Michael119

Path To Enlightenment

3 posts in this topic

10 min ago, I had an amazing experience, I want to know if I'm on the path towards enlightenment. I was in my bathroom, sitting on the toilet(not pooping) while listening to a song about enlightenment, very soothing relaxing song. Anyways I started thinking about how no amount of external stimulation will ever fulfill me, I started laughing so hard after truly realizing this that I couldn't breathe for a few moments. I then started getting into the current moment and realizing that the concept of a perceiver is false since there would have to be another perceiver for that perceiver and so on and so on, then my ego tried getting in the way but light was shined upon the ego when remembering the fact that my ego is just a made up character and I'm tired of playing the part. This let me go so much further, my mouth was open in awe and I felt this peaceful sensation in mouth and various other parts of my body.(not genitals) I then stood up and turned on the sink to the hot water. I waited until the water started to have smoke around it(hot) and put my hand through it for 15 good seconds, I let go of my whole body and had 0 resistance, I focused on the sensations but did not judge, and I felt no pain whatsoever , just a tingly sensation, then I suddenly snapped out of it( or into it) and I suddenly realized how hot the water was, my hand still kinda burns right now, so yeah am I on the right path or was this totally irrelevant? Thanks for the help!

Well, if you're on the path to enlightenment, everything short of an enlightenment is by definition irrelevant, isn't it?

You can have all sorts of cool experiences but if you ain't there yet, you ain't there yet. How could you possibly know whether you're on the right path or not? You're either enlightened or you're not (the depth of the enlightenment is a different concern). If you can't go from 20% enlightened to 30% enlightened, there is no way to measure progress. Getting more mindful, having increased concentration, clarity, and equanimity means you're getting more mindful, not necessarily closer to enlightenment. In a sense, more mindful = closer to enlightenment since with enough mindfulness you cannot keep buying into the illusion of a separate self, but most of the faster methods like self-inquiry rely on "accidental" insight.

The short answer is, asking such questions is a waste of time. Keep doing the work until you're there. If you're doing the work then you're by definition on the path, aren't you? Take it as positive feedback, but don't attach much importance to any peak experience. Keep going.

No one can give you this answer.  You can discover it only with practice.