Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rocky

My Nationality Preference Is Stopping Me From Finding A Girlfriend, What Do I Do?

8 posts in this topic

I'm a 17-year-old male turning 18 this month from England and this may seem strange but I only feel attracted to those outside of my country, and it has stopped me from wanting to get to close with girls in my country because I find it disgusting and it makes me cringe my friends think that I'm gay because I find it disgusting to want to be with someone from the same nationality because it seems like they are closely related to myself and the thought of it even makes me cringe, I've even gone as far as moving abroad to study at university in the Netherlands this year, is there something seriously wrong with me or is this normal behaviour and if so what can i do about it, it has driven my desire for a relationship and libido so low for years that I've been wondering whether or not I'm asexual but have always been sexually attracted to girls I've met that are foreign, I'd be very grateful if someone could suggest some solutions to the problem, that's if there are any.

You probably have very good reasons to feel this way but it seems clear that this is causing unhappiness and difficult life choices. I think that there are probably deeper reasons in this that have an effect through your life and therefor I would suggest that if it is possible for you to have some kind on psychological help, I would advice that. I think this is a deeper issue that you could benefit hugely on, if you just had the chance to talk about it to someone.

I'm kinda the same. I live in a small country in Europe (Bosnia) and I just hate the people here. I don't like the mentality and I don't think I'll find a boyfriend here ever. Me as a feminist have faced a lot of sexism and I simply feel disguised talking with boys here. I like Western liberal mindset and that's something I wont find here. I was in Germany for example, and all the guys I've met I enjoyed talking with them, unlike Southerns they're more open-minded, but also shy, restrained and a bit afraid of women, that's something I find very cute. :) 

I also like traveling, being in foreign cultures and learning new languages, therefore I adore foreigners. They're different, they have interesting stories about their culture, they sound so cute speaking in their native language comparing to me speaking the same language and I just feel attracted to them.  

I've talked with my girlfriends about this problem and they think I'm weird and they don't see any problem in this society. I work very hard to move out of here, so I don't have time for a relationship right now, so I don't worry about it too much. 

I might do, but I feel as if this mentality is so deeply ingrained within me, and I'm kind of starting to think that it's not such a bad thing since other people have the similar idea, I totally relate to much of what you think by not liking the mentality of many of the people in your area, I find most people in my country too simplistic and different to the point I believe I was born in the wrong country, and I'm doing the same to work hard to get out of here.

I don't know whether or not this is relevant but i kind of feel that this mentality personally for me was brought about by playing certain games since the age of about 10 such as the 'Total War' games that separated nations and compared and judged them kind of gave me these beliefs though.

@clytaemnestra Yeah I'm from germany and I can confirm that a lot of guys here are afraid of women, just like in the US. I would not regard this as a positive trait though, because those are the weak man, brainwashed by society. They will make good doormats in relationships. 

I think you want someone who respects women and treats them well, but who is still a man and not afraid. 

I don't find it disgusting to be with someone with the same nationality, however I do understand your point of view for the most part. I did date some guys of my nationality (German) when I was a teen but I was always drawn to foreigners, they seemed less boring. I ended up marrying a foreigner.
A friend of mine always said he'll never ever marry someone his nationality, always dated foreigners for the most part but ended up marrying a girl of his own nationality. I guess you'll end up with whomever is the right one, regardless of the nationality.
Are you drawn to any nationality in particular?

@Annie Not really, only Europeans that aren't from Ireland or the UK as a preference but I'm attracted to women from all over the world although I know this is pretty low of me but I'm put off by those that are also related to Brittish people such as Australians or people from New Zealand for example, I can see that some are attractive physically but the thought of  getting with them still makes me cringe.

@Rocky It's not just that you are seeing "the wrong girls". I mean what type of girls you like? Go to the places they hang out and meet new people. I don't think this is about the nationality itself, rather just the "boring" type of someone from the same country, but I bet there are girls you like from your country, just that you haven't met :)