DayTraderEdward

Is Intimacy Really Necessary?

7 posts in this topic

Call me crazy, but I find sex to be more like food, simply a biological need. I do not desire possession of a woman, nor am I emotionally needy. In fact, I would prefer sex with many women as a way to "eat," as in "nourishment." Am I insane for being content? I love being friends with women, but feel like the people in "Brave New World." "In love with what?" indeed. 

45 minutes ago, DayTraderEdward said:

Call me crazy, but I find sex to be more like food, simply a biological need. I do not desire possession of a woman, nor am I emotionally needy. In fact, I would prefer sex with many women as a way to "eat," as in "nourishment." Am I insane for being content? I love being friends with women, but feel like the people in "Brave New World." "In love with what?" indeed. 

A good point, you are not crazy my friend. True love isn't about women anyway. 

Don't confuse possession and neediness with intimacy.When you are in relationship you with partner can become soulmates, understanding each other on a deep, almost spiritual level. Intimacy = "into me see", as Teal calls it. it's stage of the most real, authentic relationship, where you aren't afraid to be vulnerable and open - lone wolves can't stand it. 

If you take this consumerist approach towards women then that's ok. But you might miss something deep you can create.

According to maslow hirechy of needs sex is the basic physiological need of human:D

19 hours ago, DayTraderEdward said:

According to Maslow, love is a deficiency need. 

Maslow makes the distinction between two different types of love; deficiency-love and being-love. D-love is needy, possessive, and neurotic. Infatuation (the "in love" experience) is a form of D-love. B-love is completely non-needy and non-possessive, it is admiring rather than needing. You love the person for as they are without needing anything in return (or needing love in return). B-lovers are independent of one another and do not get easily jealous or threatened. It is the love between a healthy mother and her baby. Perhaps you love some close friends and family in such a way?

As for your original question; it is good that you are not needy or looking to possess someone and I would try to avoid the "in love" experience if possible. Personally I think simply seeking to fulfil your deficiency need for sex will be quiet unsatisfying in the long run. I think you could have much more satisfying sex with someone you have a genuine emotional connection with.