Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Empty

When It Rains It Pours!!

2 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!! 

It seems that the more I search in personal development wanting to make the best of myself, the more I realize the hard work I need to do. One of the most struggle I think I have is my environment: my family, friends, relative... are very negative. I do not get to know positive people in real life. Therefore, the nasty paradox occurs. On one hand, I am meditating, affirmating, visualizing good things and eliminating my negative thought. On the other hand, my mom, dad, friends are coming up with ALL THE NASTY THINGS in their heads holding me back!!! What do you think, guys? Should I seek new positive friends? should I try to go to live in another country...Etc? 

Thanks in Advance :)

I think there are 3 ways of dealing with this:

1. You can cut the negative people out of you live, try and find more positive people to be around. Or even take time out on your own.

2. You can learn to detach from other peoples' negativity, just let it go and not engage with it.

3. You can use the other people as a 'mirror'. When they are being negative or dysfuctional you can observe their behavious and ask yourself 'In what ways do I do the same thing?" - use their behaviour as a reminder to you as to what you want to change or avoid becoming yourself.

I understand your problem though. Being around negative people all the time can be a distraction and also prevent you from doing the work you need to do on yourself. Particularly if these people are imposing their dysfunctional expecations on you. Noone can tell you what to do, but you have to do what is best for you in the long term, so that you can grow and become what you want to be. That may require a change of scenary and a more healthy environment.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu