ZenDog

What Are Some Good Self Inquiry Qouestions To Ask Yourself?

6 posts in this topic

So I ive been doing 1h of mediation for around 4 months.

Ive tried sometimes adding 30min extra to my session for self inquiry work.

I used the "Who is aware?", "Whos precieving?" questions and tried looking.

Now Leo made a new video, and as far as I understood, these qouestions arent really self inquiry.

In his new video on being nothing, which questions do u ask ur self then?

What am I?

I've been really close to having some insights during long sits, in which my mind was "exhausted" from "Do nothing", while asking myself "what is true right now?", which is an exaggeration, since the only true thing is in the present moment.

In addition to that i am using these experiments:  http://www.headless.org/experiments/pointing.htm, which have been posted before, with the only difference that i imagine my hands pointing.

Generally i find also useful to "see" what is NOT true, rather than starting from zero, but i'm still a newbie at this so i may be wrong and it may not be enough.

I sometimes do that too where I exhaust my mind with "do nothing" first before I do mindfullness mediation or self inquiry.

Get Adyashanti's free ebook "way of liberation". There he explains inquiry. And also Meditation. Traditionally people ask "who am I?" or better "what am I?" because the first one almost implies "someone".

You can also search fo rthe inquiry approaches of Nisargadatta or Ramana on Google.

the ones i find good are, 

am i aware?

where am i?

when am i?

whos aware of a blank state?

Some teachers also use "Am I?" for inquiry and say that Ramana's "Nan yar?" should really be translated that way.

11 minutes ago, bobbyward said:

am i aware?

Good one. Sounds a bit like Rupert Spira. I guess he did a video on youtube how to inquire with that question.