Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stef

A Simple Exercise On Perspective.

4 posts in this topic

Let's say the average lifespan is 75 years.

Multiply that by 365 = 27375. That's how many days you have on this earth.

Let's say in the average case a human being is most active and creative until he reaches 60. 

So we substract 15 years. 

15x365 = 5475

27375 - 5475 = 21900. 

Now, multiply your age by 365 and subtract from that.

In my case, I'm almost 26. So 26 x 365 = 9490. That's how long I've been on this world.

And how long do I have left? 21900 - 9490 = 12410

12410 days.

That's it. No bullshit, just pure objective numerical data.

Now, I know this might be a pretty unrealistic way of viewing things. Everyone's life is different and there are no guarantees. At all.

However, if you create this mental graph for yourself, you'll get a perspective on your life. And think about how you will spend the rest of your most valuable source - time.

Make every day count.

I think living with the days counted is like living with a clock that every day reminds you how many days left you have. The last few years remaining of your life would be all pure concentrated fear, anxiety, anguish. It's good to live like everyday it's the last day, but not living on a countdown...

(sorry for my bad english)

12 minutes ago, Dominick_Nec said:

I think living with the days counted is like living with a clock that every day reminds you how many days left you have. The last few years remaining of your life would be all pure concentrated fear, anxiety, anguish. It's good to live like everyday it's the last day, but not living on a countdown...

(sorry for my bad english)

Well... Or you could use it as a motivator. If you create fear out of the time you have left then that's what you'll get. If you create a positive mindset instead, then that's what you'll get. I personally find the math very helpful, very very helpful. I already know I'm going to die eventually. That game is lost in the end, so to be paining myself over this inevitability, is pointless, it assumes I have control over my death which I don't. 

Memento Mori

@Neuroticon  Today is day 7472 since I´m out of the womb. I count the days, like you suggested, I started a couple of months ago actually with this habit and for me it´s been an effective reminder for gratitude and change.  I did not calculate how many days would be left if I´d die with 75 or 80 or whatever age would be the most likely for me.

I just write the number of the day next to the date, every day.

I realized that there are two mistakes you can make: Wonder too much about what you did all the days before (and don´t get me wrong, I learned a lot through analyzing the past) but after some time you will see that what you wrote is 7472 and that´s all you got... Same goes for the future which you can only influence through focusing on 7472 and yes you can plan it and visualize it but these things have to happen NOW, today... 

Fridays, Mondays,  Januaries, Februaries... They all come and go but day 7472 will NEVER come again. Ever. That´s kinda scary (and if the day was bad it´s also kinda releasing ;)). So, yes Neuroticon, this is a perspective change. Value the present day unit (you don´t need to use one earth spin you can really use whatever unit you like and I guess once we get better at consciousness our units will become smaller but hey that is only theory) and forget about how much is left (in the end it´s the quality and not the quantity that matters). 

Hope that was helpful... Enjoy your day.