Clay

Stop Playing Video Games

8 posts in this topic

Similar to your video How To Stop Watching TV - Why You Must Eliminate TV Right Now!, would you be able to make a video on the how's and why's of stopping playing video games?

Considering how you came from a video game development career background—and thus I presume you used to be a very involved gamer as well—I believe you would have a lot of wisdom to offer to this rarely discussed topic.

I used to be a gamer, stopped because i also thought it was a distraction. However for me I needed some way to plug in after a long day, or for a holiday, now I am a gamer again. video games can be a huge distraction but in my opinion, they are way better than t.v. and social media.

On 2 March 2016 at 8:30 PM, kyle barnett said:

I used to be a gamer, stopped because i also thought it was a distraction. However for me I needed some way to plug in after a long day, or for a holiday, now I am a gamer again. video games can be a huge distraction but in my opinion, they are way better than t.v. and social media.

Commit to doing something more productive. I play game of dota 2 in evening before sleep , but when i know i did all i could for the day.  Then you will see that playing games gets duller and duller. 

"Repeat a lie a thousand times and it becomes the truth."

Dr. joseph Goebbels

I would like to hear about this topic from the perspective of a parent with a child who is already addicted to video games.  How to get out of this situation?

I'd like a video on this as well. The subject has a lot in common with the TV one but Leo has had lots of experience in the game industry and with being addicted to them, possibly even more so than TV. 

I've already stopped competitive gaming and hanging out with my competitive gaming group of friends in fact, but I still find myself casually gaming sometimes, which is less of a time sink but still a time sink all the same. There's something about it that's more addicting than TV... it feels like you're really achieving something when you work hard and succeed in a game, but we should be channeling that energy into our actual lives.

7 hours ago, Lyn said:

I'd like a video on this as well. The subject has a lot in common with the TV one but Leo has had lots of experience in the game industry and with being addicted to them, possibly even more so than TV. 

I've already stopped competitive gaming and hanging out with my competitive gaming group of friends in fact, but I still find myself casually gaming sometimes, which is less of a time sink but still a time sink all the same. There's something about it that's more addicting than TV... it feels like you're really achieving something when you work hard and succeed in a game, but we should be channeling that energy into our actual lives.

What. Are you going to sit on top of a mountain meditating cross legged "enlightened" for the rest of your life.

xD

Variety makes our lives more fun, Casual gaming is ok, Hardcore gaming can be a waste of time (Unless you have a SERIOUS passion for it and do e-sports).

Edited by Lorcan

@Lorcan It's not that I don't want to have fun, it's having an emotional dependency on games that Leo would call an addiction. Anything that we repeatedly go back to and feel uncomfortable/restless if we stay away from them for too long is an addiction. Of course it's fine to play games if you know you can stop at any time, but for me I'd like to condition myself to not need it.

Make other activities more accsessbile, for example the reason we find our selves plopping down on a chair and playing video games is because of how accsessible and easy it is.

However say you want to say go Draw,  you go into your room, your rooms a  mess, you cant find a pencil anywhere.Therefor requiring lots more hastle