Abby Skvarce

[book] The Life-changing Magic Of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art Of Decluttering And Organization, By Marie Kondo (10/10)

9 posts in this topic

It may sound irrelevant to the type of books posted on this forum, but oh, it is not. This book changed my entire families life (including my relatives), and they do not even do self inquiry work. After watching the videos posted on actualized.org (which I had began to watch after reading this book), I realized that this read has everything to do with self actualization work, particularly enlightenment. It does not speak about how to become enlightened, but the techniques seem relevant to what enlightenment is (or atleast what I have learned from actualized.org). It's not just a manual on becoming a tidy person, trust me. Basically it is a guide to finding some sort of trajectory in your life, and you'll find that it will make everything around you, in a sense, easier to do by eliminating the unnecessary clutter around you and in your mind. I have read a lot of self help books and this one was looking at it in another perspective! 

I totally agree with you @Abby Skvarce!!

The essence of the book is making the place you live in a mirror of the person you want to be so that it is easier and more "natural" to achieve the goal. I remember looking at my room after tyding it with her method and thinking "now that is the room of a medical student!!". It's really much more about aligning with your true self than just decluttering.

Thank you for mentioning it, I hope other people will benefit from it!! :)

@Diane  Awesome to hear that you've read it and made the connection as well! Thanks for the feedback, Diane. 

Listened to this as an audiobook, my apartment has never been tidier... Simple but valuable principles. I'd also rate it 10/10. :) 

:ph34r:

Yes! I heard about this book too. I haven't purchased it yet.. honestly I forgot about it. o.O I'm really not the most organised person. I think our living space is an excellent place to start. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Some people say her perspective is animistic, talking about stuff as if they have feelings etc. I loved her style and I found her advice really helpful. The life-changing part for me was that I changed the way I look at my house and I could eliminate the stuff that do not give me joy. I also found folding clothes a very relaxing experience, something like meditation even. Yet you should be really ruthless when decluttering or else you'll end up with exhaustion + lots of stuff that don't belong your home.

Started to read yesterday.

Seems like this book will give me the courage to try to tidy my space one more time. I was an advocate of "little by little" approach, but clearly that didn't work. I'll report about my results later !

Thanks for sharing !