Scarecrow

Quiet Notes (for Introverts)

3 posts in this topic

Notes from Quiet by Susan Cain

"The secret to life is to put yourself in the right lighting. For some it's a Broadway spotlight; for others , a lamplit desk. Use your natural powers of persistence, concentration, insight, and sensitivity. To do the work you love and work that matters. Solve problems, make art, think deeply."

"Respect your loved ones need for socializing and your own for solitude."

"Students inhabit a world in which status, income, and self-esteem depend more than ever on the ability to meet the demands of the cultural personality. The pressure to entertain, to sell ourselves, and never to be visibly anxious keeps ratcheting up."

"What if you love your calm and thoughtful self? what if you love knowledge for its own sake? what if you wish there were more reflective types in the world?"

"Failure is what can happen if people prize assertiveness to highly."

"Assertive people are good at getting there way but it doesn't mean they're going the right way."

"We tend to overestimate how outgoing leaders need to be."

"Good leaders are quiet, humble, modest, reserved, shy, gracious, mild-mannered, self-effecting, understated. We need leaders who build not on their egos but the institutions they run. They are more interested in listening and gathering information than in asserting their opinion or dominating a conversation. They are not concerned with gaining credit."

"Most creative people are shy and live in their heads. Artists work best alone. A mind forever voyaging through strange seas of thought alone."

"Deliberate practice is best conducted alone. Because it takes intense concentration and other people can be distracting. It requires deep motivation, often self-generated. But most important, it involves working on the task that most challenging to you personally."

@Scarecrow I have a fascination with introverts!!!! Honestly, introverts fascinate me because of their rich inner lives and how they deeply listen to you. I love talking to introverts about deep Existential topics and creativity and their dreams and imagination. However, as an ENFP, I will admit that i can bond deeply to an introvert and can be unintentionally smothering to them with my texting. I misinterpret their downtime and unwinding as "ghosting." However, i love telling introverts, particularly highly creative introverts, about my deepest passions because my goal is to stoke that passion in them. Introverts are the most AWESOME friends, especially for a bubbly extrovert because of their coolness and authenticity.