Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TJ Reeves

Great Quotes From Cloud Atlas

2 posts in this topic

Cloud Atlas is a 3-hour long Epic that spans 500 centuries and weaves together the lives of infinite souls represented by the same actors in different roles as they tell one on going story. 

Written and Directed by Lana Wachowski (of the Matrix fame), it is a truly daring project. Some people hated it. Some people loved it. I for one loved it for its exploration of love, time, and Being. Fair warning, only watch this movie if you're interested in deep truth - it is not for the masses. 

Here are a few profound quotes from the movie.

On Belief (and MindFucks as described by @Leo Gura):

"Belief, like fear or love, is a force to be understood as we understand the Theory of Relativity and Principles of Uncertainty: phenomenon that determine the course of our lives. Yesterday, my life was headed in one direction. Today, it is headed in another. Yesterday I believed that I would never have done what I did today. These forces that often remake time and space, that can shape and alter who we imagine ourselves to be, begin long before we are born and continue after we perish. Our lives and our choices, like quantum trajectories, are understood moment to moment. At each point of intersection, each encounter suggests a new potential direction."

On Taking A Stand for Personal Values in a 'meaningless', 'infinite' world:

(Villain - ego - challenging protagonist): There is a natural order to this world, and those who try to upend it do not fare well. This movement will never survive; if you join them, you and your entire family will be shunned. At best, you will exist a pariah to be spat at and beaten-at worst, to be lynched or crucified. And for what? For what? No matter what you do it will never amount to anything more than a single drop in a limitless ocean. 

(Protagonist): What is an ocean but a multitude of drops?

On interconnectedness in the Now:

Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

On the Nature of Oneness:

I climb the steps of the Scott Monument every morning and all becomes clear. Wish I could make you see this brightness. Don't worry, all is well. All is so perfectly, damnably well. I understand now that boundaries between noise and music are conventions. All boundaries are conventions, waiting to be transcended. One may transcend any convention if only one can first conceive of doing so. Moments like this, I can feel your heart beating as clearly as I feel my own, and I know that separation is an illusion. My life extends far beyond the limitations of me.

On Absolute vs. Relative Truth:

Archivist: On behalf of my Ministry and the future of Unanimity, I want to thank you for the final interview. Remember, this isn't an interrogation or trial. Your version of the truth is all that matters. 

Sonmi-451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

On Karma and Knowing Thyself:

Sonmi-451: To be is to be perceived. And so to know thyself is only possible through the eyes of the other. The nature of our immortal lives is in the consequences of our words and deeds that go on apportioning themselves throughout all time.

On Taking Action when you feel that you only have shit options:

You have to do whatever you can't not do.

On Understanding History:

Javier: What are you reading? 

Luisa Rey: Old letters. 

Javier: Why do you keep reading them? 

Luisa Rey: I don't know. Just trying to understand why we keep making the same mistakes... over and over.

Edited by TJ Reeves

I remember watching it when I was younger. I did not really understood the main idea because I was quite sleepy. Is it directly connected with Enlightenment Truth? I would like to re watch it more consciously.

Edited by egoless