Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pelin

Probiotics- How And For How Long?

6 posts in this topic

For six months now I've been making my own yogurt with raw milk and added probiotics, and I've also been making sauerkraut and fermented pickles. 

But this summer I wasn't at home much. I went to Japan for two weeks, where I had to eat junk food from time to time, and I couldn't eat probiotic food (maybe some pickles as side dish, I'm not sure). I experienced constipation there for 3 days for the first time in my life. It got better but then I visited family and stayed there for like 5 weeks and constipation kept returning. Now I'm at home, eating fermented foods regularly but as I'm concerned I messed up my microbiota I've also started taking probiotic supplements.

I'd like to ask you, do you think just fermented foods are adequate for a healthy gut?

Should I take the supplements everyday, or only when I can't have access to fermented foods?

Can I stop taking supplements when my gut is healed? Or is it just good to take them everyday?

@Pelin I also make and consume my own fermented foods, it's part of my daily diet. When everything works smoothly in your gut and you have at least one daily bowel, supplements would not be required.

Once a week I do a saline water flush to cleanse and disinfect my gut. There are many benefits to that, just make sure you do it with clean water and real sea salt. Drink a quart of water mixed with 2-3 tea-spoons of salt, in under 10 minuits. If that doesn't push it through, drink another quart with salt. Wait till you thoroughly flushed before you eat again (usually 1 hr). Do a few flushes (will help get rid of bad bacteria) followed by probiotics (will help eliminate any parasites you might have contracted in Japan) and that should take care of your current gut ailments.  

I do keep a bottle of quality probiotics in the fridge and take them sometimes too. It's also good to supplement when you have an animal (I have a dog). And as you getting older and your digestion slows down, supplementing almost becomes a must, and not just for gut health, but also for immune health as well. 

@Pelin I forgt to mention to do it first thing in the morning (only once a day) before eating or drinking anything. When your gut stabilizes, you can cleanse once a week. And make sure to follow up with pribiotics :)

@Natasha I was waiting for Sunday to do the salt water cleanse and I did it this morning. Two hours in, I went to the bathroom twice but still feel a bit full. Haven't peed yet, is this normal? Maybe I feel full because of the water? 

@Pelin Salt retains water, so it's quite normal not to have to pee right away. The salt water you consumed should have come out of your butt instead (called butt pee), while cleansing the gut debris out. If you didn't butt pee after drinking all this salt water, you might have stopped up digestion. Repeat weekly. You'll see what I'm talking about after 2-3 sessions. And feel free to PM me anytime if you have any questions :)