Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sleeperstakes

Dropping The "c Grade" Attitude To Life

4 posts in this topic

I've always lived my life fairly lazily. Not so lazy i fail, but just hovering above failure in the realm of mediocrity. In my job I'm always the one at the bottom of the pack who they sometimes think they should fire but just keeps his performance in the acceptable level. My grades in school were never stellar, even though i consider myself of above average intelligence. I don't put in the work i need to succeed, my workout results are mediocre, my grades were mediocre and With exception to maybe martial arts and creativity most other areas of my life are the same. How do i become "addicted to the process" put in the hours and get the vision i need to drop the "C grade" attitude and get an A+ in life. are there any book suggestions or recommendations?

@sleeperstakes

1 hour ago, sleeperstakes said:

are there any book suggestions or recommendations?

Be Obsessed or Be Average Grant Cardone and Relentless by Timothy S. Grover are both AMAZING books. Get them right now and get the audiobook version for both.

1 hour ago, sleeperstakes said:

How do i become "addicted to the process" put in the hours and get the vision i need to drop the "C grade" attitude and get an A+ in life

There's a lot of different factors that cause this. I'll lay them out as I've experienced.

The first is that you've been socially conditioned into averageness. Average people hang around other average people, do average things and get fed average people thoughts. When you actually start performing like an A+ player, average people around you will try and get you to stop or think it looks crazy.

Understand that most people don't actually want high level success. If they did they'd either have it or be on a track to get it. But as it stands, 95% of people will accomplish very little.

Why? Because success is a threat. Success requires breaking out of your comfort zone, changing who you are as a person, working hard, taking risk, facing disapproval and being scared. It's much easier to just stay average.

Another factor is just habit. Every time you make the decision to be average, you reinforce that personality. Every time you excel, you reinforce that personality. They're both habits.

Another factor could be that you've haven't done any work towards discovering your life purpose. It's tough to feel inspired when you don't feel that what you're doing has a larger purpose or vision to it.

The final factor I'll mention is that maybe life hasn't been hard enough for you yet. It's controversial to say, but the truth is that pain and failure do create leverage for us to take action.

So here's some simple practical steps right now:

1) Start treating every decision almost as if you entire life hinged on this one decision, no matter how seemingly small or petty. Imagine there is no past or future and all that matters is right now.

2) Start making friends with people who aren't average. And consume the content of those you deem playing at a high level so you can see how they think

3) Affirmations. Tell yourself that you work harder than anyone else in the room. Doesn't matter if it's true, the more you say it the more it will become true.

Edited by aurum

I agree for sure that my life has been way too cushy. It's a classic case of being raised as the special snowflake millennial in a white suburb. 

How would you suggest is the best way to meet the kind of people that aren't average? Because as you say average people become friends with average people, it's fairly likely that my average friends will also have average friends. 

What are the best books and resources for life purpose specifically? Is Leo's course worth an investment?

9 hours ago, sleeperstakes said:

How would you suggest is the best way to meet the kind of people that aren't average? Because as you say average people become friends with average people, it's fairly likely that my average friends will also have average friends. 

Like I said before, I would spend some time looking at inner game concepts. Realize that both "average" and "elite" are both roles that people just decided at some point in their life. It's not real. So the more you start to see yourself as "that guy", the more the world will accept that label.

But realistically, you won't right away. So you'll have to deal with the barriers to entry to these kind of people that stop you from doing just that.

For instance, the best nightclubs with the coolest people are always the hardest to get into. And even if you find a way in, there will even be layers of VIP within the nightclub itself.

General rule of thumb: if you're going somewhere with no barrier to entry, it's not worth going.

So start small and build it up. Go to events on Meetup.com or Eventbrite.com and mastermind with people who are growing. Even better, start your own Meetup.

If you live in a city with good nightlife, get a subscription to Jukely and use that to get into those venues. Go out with co-workers to happy hour. find the guy who looks successful and start a conversation.

All it takes is one person. I met this entrepreneur in July who has spent the last couple years building a high end social circle here in Miami. Because I provided value to him and we became friends, now I have access to almost his entire circle. Then I met the people from his circle and did the same thing.

Rinse, repeat. The better it gets, the better it gets.

9 hours ago, sleeperstakes said:

What are the best books and resources for life purpose specifically? Is Leo's course worth an investment?

Never took Leo's life purpose course. I'm sure it's good though because Leo's stuff is always high quality.

The Element by Ken Robinson and The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks are decent. Then there's my digital product on my website about life purpose, 10/10 obviously ;)