Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TJ Reeves

A Monks’ Ashram Weekly Routine

4 posts in this topic

The following excerpts are taken from this article at Skeptic Meditations.com, a website written by a man who lived as a monk for 14 years. I highly recommend you read the article in full, because there is a ton of juicy information in it. Think of the following the next time you think  “If I lived in a monastery I’d be happy and peaceful praying and meditating all the time.”

"Monks’ Ashram Weekday Schedule

The typical weekday schedule of an SRF (Self Realization Fellowship) monk consisted of:

6:00 a.m. Gong rings, arise for private meditation in your bedroom

7:00 Group meditation in Monk’s Chapel

8:00  Vegetarian Breakfast served in Monk’s Dining Room (Silence)

8:30-12:00 Office work in Monk’s assigned department

12:00-12:30 p.m. Meditation (Silence)

12:00-1:00 Vegetarian Lunch served in Monk’s Dining room (Silence)

1:00-4:30 Office work (continued)

4:30-5:30 Recreation (group or individual physical fitness)

6:00-7:00 Group meditation in Monk’s Chapel

7:00-7:30 Vegetarian Dinner served in Monk’s Dining Room (Silence)

9:00 Private meditation

10:00 Lights Out (Silence)

Everyday there was a strict rule of silence–no talking or noise–between 10 p.m. to 8 a.m., and during all meals and meditations and all day Sundays. [Read my post Ashram Silence.] During my first 5-7 years inside the ashram, I was quite self-disciplined in forcing myself to get up by six in the morning. and in following the monastic vows and rules of the Order.

Later, after 10 years or so, I realized that the monks who lasted that long or longer inside this cloistered system had managed to carve out their own routines. When a monk felt reasonably secure in his seniority or status in the ashram he can take liberties with his schedule; whereas the younger, newer monks feel the need to follow all the rules and vows or they may be reprimanded, or worse, asked to leave the Order. Fear often motivated monks to follow the weekly routine."

------

"Is living in a monastery a happy peaceful affair of praying and meditating all the time?

Monastic routine–including praying and meditating–is founded on the ideals of increasingly handing over control to unchallengeable authorities. These authorities propagate the virtues of renunciation and self-sacrifice. Presumably followers are required to sacrifice their selfish impulses to attain the superior or higher states of selflessness, enlightenment, samadhi and so on. In short, a follower’s concerns with their own interests becomes the source of their own problems. Self-centeredness (ego) becomes the villain to be sacrificed, slain, destroyed.

Once one’s self-trust is undermined its fairly easy to allow oneself to be manipulated and controlled by authority. It’s not necessary for any of the individuals within the monastery to consciously manipulate or control others or to allow themselves be manipulated and controlled by others. All that is required is to follow the routine and ideals of the monastic order.

Yes, outwardly the ashram routine allowed for plenty of peace and quiet time for prayer and meditation. A superficial vibe of peace, harmony, and happiness was present. But underneath the surface, inside the hearts and minds of monks was much anxiety, fear, even psychosis. The irony is that the ideals that lead one into a monastery, to pray and meditate all the time, are the very source of their problems. Going “within”–using meditation techniques and monastic routines–are following outward systems, promulgated by spiritual authorities. When we look outward (to renunciate or monastic systems, practices, or techniques) for validation we are barred from self-knowledge. We then are enslaved to routine and validation from authority."

Edited by TJ Reeves

Yeah as appealing as monastic life sounds in one regard, I don't want to waste my time involved in tons of petty chores or power struggles.  This is why I have always felt the ideal route to go is to make enough money while you are young, to be able to spend a good chunk of your life with no need to work, and able to devote all of your time to practice.  Live the monk life with none of the drawbacks.

@Real Eyes wouldnt it be less risky to find a life purpose and do that while practicing and doing retreats occasionally?

Yeah that's something that could be done immediately, so it's good.  But I also think one should have a long term plan for how they'll get financial independence, and be working towards it.  Preferably not when you are already very old.

Edited by Real Eyes