Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vibivub

2 Meditation Techniques In One Session?

4 posts in this topic

This is a very basic question but is it fine to do 2 or more Meditation Techniques in one session?

I just watched many of Leo's Meditation Video's and tried out the "Do Nothing" and "Mindfulness with Labeling" Technique for some weeks now. Most people say that you should pick only one Technique that you like best and do it everyday to get the specific results. But I want to do both Techniques and maybe concentration practice everyday too. I meditate at least 20min in morning everyday and tried to split up the time:

( 5min Concentration )

10min Labeling

10min Do Nothing

But when I started splitting up the time I noticed that the never got very deep into the flow of the Meditation anymore like I did when I only did one Technique for 20min.

So what do you guys think? Is splitting up the time Ok or should I get deep with only 1 Technique? AlternativeIy could just do a 2 day Cycle of One day 20min Labeling and the next day Do Nothing.

@Vibivub do it for 6 months and tell us :)

work on your intuition. try things for yourself. feel them. feeling is a lot more important than conceptualizing. in fact, if you can feel, conceptualization is completely optional.

spoiler: if you practice enough, you'll be free from techniques.

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

There are all sorts of different ways to organize your practice. Feel free to experiment and play around  

Imo, there are to main things to consider:

1. What technique(s) suits your personality type? Nobody can tell you that, you have to find out through trial and error. Just as @ajasatya  pointed out, if you want to know, if doing two techniques in one session works for you, try for a couple of months and then evaluate. 
  2. What way of practice suits your life situation best. There are many ways to set up your practice. Key is, that you make it easy for yourself to integrate it in your daily life. If you have to go out of your way to have a meditation session, every day, chances are that missing out on days becomes more frequent.  

Here is a video from Shinzen Young, that offers a pretty comprehensive outline of meditation practice:

Personal experiences: 

• I often practice ceveral techniques in one session. Vipassana and Self-Inquiry (for me they work together great)
  • I tend to do do nothing practice in the evening, since that's more effortless for me. 
  • I do more doing type of practice in the morning. 
  • I do 5 to 30 min of concentration practice in the beginning of every session, to sharpen my mind. It's a great catalyst for my practice. 

I often wonder if incorporating "strong determination sitting" while doing any other meditation technique increases its effectiveness. Leo calls strong determination sitting, meditation on steroids and it seems like it could be implemented into other techniques as well to increase gains.