Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hinawashi

Keeping A Self-actualization Journal

4 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about starting a journal for a very long time and in the past I've written broken pieces of entries which never connected very well with each other.

I know that many of you would definitely encourage me to keep one, but here's my dilemma: Whenever I look back on my old entries I find them rather stupid and absurd to look at. At the same time I know that whatever I'm writing down today will suffer the same fate in the near future.

Has anyone come across this problem when keeping a self-actualization journal? What would be your solution to it? I'm thinking of keeping a "dynamic journal" where I can go back and edit stuff I've written down before, but I'm not sure if it's feasible.

Thanks!

Basic journal entries definitely can seem ignorant or even arrogant over time, Those types of journals are less important compared to the most important journal entries you will make which are the -->  how to's, the deepest insights you have, deepest understandings, keeping yourself on track, reminders, techniques, mindsets, big picture concepts (including the big picture of self actualization itself), your motivations and visions, strategies, values etc. which I keep in my self actualization journal. 

there are some journal entries I make that don't amount to anything and that's just how it ends up being but it won't always be that way. The process of self actualization or just personal growth is a recursive process, it's always changing and morphing, and that's the way it will always be on this journey. And it's your job to navigate through it.

“We are like sailors who are on the open sea, and we must construct our ship, but are never able to start a fresh from the bottom. Where a beam is taken away a new one must be put in place at once, and for the rest of the ship is used as support. In this way by using the old beams,  and the driftwood the ship can be shaped entirely a new, but only by gradual reconstruction. ”

This is what growth entails, so it's time to develop a taste for it. 

Edited by Truth

Memento Mori

So the dynamic journal is the way to go. Sounds like a good plan.

Life is indeed like living on the seven seas like a pirate. Grab your eyepatch, pegleg, musket and cutlass, and loot and plunder your way up from deckswabber to captain.

Ever hear about the Argo paradox? When Jason first set sail with his band of swashbucklers, he built the Argo from new materials but as he sailed from port to port part of the ship got old and was replaced until all parts were eventually replaced with new parts. So some peoples argue that the Argo at the end isn't the real Argo anymore but an entirely different ship altogether.

If that's true, then when did the Argo become a different ship? Is it when the first piece is replaced or when the last piece is replaced, or some halfway point in the middle? Or is it possible that no matter how many pieces were replaced, the Argo is still the Argo?

It's the same problem with life. We all know that we've transformed when we look back at our past lives, but we cannot define the precise moment in time when the transformation took place.

@hinawashi The Argo is still the Argo :) The ship is only separated by our perceptions. I mean, yeah, the original components have changed, but, consider the boundaries we create in an ultimately unified universe, there's only a boundary there because we created it. Once the ship started to restore it's "original" or "warn out" pieces that's when we decided (or created the boundary) that it was no longer the ship, and we forgot that the entire universe is a unity. The new pieces are the old pieces. they were never separate from each other. So the ship still remains as it's original identity just newer and more robust :)

From this perspective you could say that the transformation was already there or already occurring or already occurred.  It just depends on how you look at it, and whatever you decide on is mostly likely "where" or "when" it will be.

Memento Mori