AlldayLoop

What's The Problem With Wheat?

Consuming Wheat   20 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Ever Consume Wheat?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

Leo has pointed out a few times that we should avoid wheat. Is this advice useful for people even though they're not gluten intolerant? What books or resources can I read/listen to that talk about the downside of wheat?

According to Dr. William Davis, a Milwaukee, Wisconsin-based preventive cardiologist, wheat has “drug like” toxic effects on our body. In fact, many health experts agree that wheat allergies are the source of many people’s health problems – they just don’t know it. And, to make matter worse, getting off these products can have drug-like (negative) side effects.

“Modern” (dwarf) wheat, which through genetic manipulation and hybridization is designed to put food on the plates of millions of starving people – is a chemical solution that has put nature and chemical processing on a colliding course. This monster food creation has too much gluten for the human body and has contributed to everything from obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, dementia, depression and much more.

According to Dr. Mark Hyman, dwarf wheat contains excessive levels of the “super starch” – Amylopectin. This is a super starch that can make two slices of whole wheat bread spike your blood sugar more than two tablespoons of sugar.

In addition, dwarf wheat contains “super gluten”, a chemical capable of setting off body-wide inflammation. Gluten can help trigger Celiac disease along with insulin resistance, weight gain and diabetes. In fact, there are substantial collaborative studies that see the rise in autoimmune diseases, irritable bowel syndrome and the list goes on and on.

Basically a man-made modified/hybridized substance, a little spelt or rye(stone-ground) may be a healthier choice but if you are seeking optimal health and function i would avoid gluten altogether.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

Against:
William Davis - Wheat Belly
David Perlmutter - Grain Brain
Neutral/For:
John Douillard - Eat Wheat 

I've read the two Against books, From experience I feel better off Wheat. I've just started reading Eat Wheat to be open minded, even though I have been quite paradigm locked in the Anti-Carb / Anti-Wheat paradigm for some time. He is making a good case about perhaps it's not so much Wheat that's the problem, but our inability to break down hard-to-digest foods & detoxify properly any longer. He goes into depth about the lymphatic system, gut health & microbiome. He believes that under certain circumstances Wheat can be quite healthy, if eaten at the right time, prepared in the right way, and using the right organic ingredients. 

Gluten in majority of wheat products is a very sticky protein. The seed of the wheat contains ensymes necessary for gluten digestion however these are killed during high heat processing when making pastry products. The gluten however makes it so now you end up with a lot of heat-messed up protein that you cannot digest without any enzymes to digest it. The good thing is that our bodies can compensate and produce our own ensymes hower this puts a lot of strain and drains a lot of energy. In a long run this is not sustainable, your body's potential for ensyme production suffers greatly and many regular wheat consumers develop inflammations in form of acne, bloating, collon cancer, weight gain, digestive problems, auto-immune disease...the list goes on and on. 

And than there is the concern of genetic mutation which was mentioned above. That is a reason why products like Soy should not even be touch. 

Another case with wheat products is that generally it is a "dead food. " During the processing of bakery products majority of nutrients are lost. Hence when eating these products you take a lot of empty calories just to find yourself hungry again because your body will be missing essential nutrients. Not to mention that processed carbohydrates are one of the best way to gain fat on your body. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

Gluten in majority of whey products is a very sticky protein. The seed of the wheat contains ensymes necessary for gluten digestion however these are killed during high heat processing when making pastry products. The gluten however makes it so now you end up with a lot of heat-messed up protein that you cannot digest without any enzymes to digest it. The good thing is that our bodies can compensate and produce our own ensymes hower this puts a lot of strain and drains a lot of energy. In a long run this is not sustainable, your body's potential for ensyme production suffers greatly and many regular wheat consumers develop inflammations in form of acne, bloating, collon cancer, weight gain, digestive problems, auto-immune disease...the list goes on and on. 

And than there is the concern of genetic mutation which was mentioned above. That is a reason why products like Soy should not even be touch. 

Another case with wheat products is that generally it is a "dead food. " During the processing of bakery products majority of nutrients are lost. Hence when eating these products you take a lot of empty calories just to find yourself hungry again because your body will be missing essential nutrients. Not to mention that processed carbohydrates are one of the best way to gain fat on your body. 

What is your take on spelt, rye and or stone-ground? also is soy really that bad? We have (certified organic) NON-GMO  soy beans here, i make soy milk for my post-workout recovery shake from time to time i never really noticed anything bad can you share more on this thanks. I also heard fermented soy like natto/miso and tofu i believe are okay?

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@pluto  from what I've read about soy. It is heavily modified across the planet.  It has been completely twisted and changed from what it was once. Soy contains many anti-nutrients and toxins.  It changes your chromosomes with its high levels of oestrogen. Men actually become feminine and women masculine.  Even animals fed soy show signs of colonial cancer. It also absorbs minerals like Zinc from your body. 

In ancient times, oriental farmers used soy not to eat but to enrich soil and rotate the crops. Humans were once able to digest soy, thousands of years ago but due to hundreds of year mixing with other legumes, the nutrients in it have become undigested and straining organisms. This is really an expert topic, I only know little that I've read in few books about Nutrition but the message i got is to avoid soy like a Plague. 

Soy is being put into baby formulas causing irreversible damage to the brain, to genitals, digestive system...

Now whether organic non GMO is legit , that I have no idea. The thing is that with all those years of modification, even a seed that you plant without modification could have been heavily mixed and cross planted a millennia ago completely changing structure of it. But than again, it was used for crop enriching not eating hence I think it has no place on man's table. That's just my opinion so if you come if with something disproving this, please do let me know cause I loved soy :D 

Don't know much about the other grains, I've never tried any of them. 

Recommended generally are sprouted (where possible)  or soaked pseudo grains like buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, wheat grass. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

9 hours ago, Michael569 said:

@pluto  from what I've read about soy. It is heavily modified across the planet.  It has been completely twisted and changed from what it was once. Soy contains many anti-nutrients and toxins.  It changes your chromosomes with its high levels of oestrogen. Men actually become feminine and women masculine.  Even animals fed soy show signs of colonial cancer. It also absorbs minerals like Zinc from your body. 

In ancient times, oriental farmers used soy not to eat but to enrich soil and rotate the crops. Humans were once able to digest soy, thousands of years ago but due to hundreds of year mixing with other legumes, the nutrients in it have become undigested and straining organisms. This is really an expert topic, I only know little that I've read in few books about Nutrition but the message i got is to avoid soy like a Plague. 

Soy is being put into baby formulas causing irreversible damage to the brain, to genitals, digestive system...

Now whether organic non GMO is legit , that I have no idea. The thing is that with all those years of modification, even a seed that you plant without modification could have been heavily mixed and cross planted a millennia ago completely changing structure of it. But than again, it was used for crop enriching not eating hence I think it has no place on man's table. That's just my opinion so if you come if with something disproving this, please do let me know cause I loved soy :D 

Don't know much about the other grains, I've never tried any of them. 

Recommended generally are sprouted (where possible)  or soaked pseudo grains like buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, wheat grass. 

I heard that only applies to soy that has been genetically modified overtime because i know many healthy japanese people that have history of consuming soy all their lifes in generations and always seem great health. I guess cause soy is a complete protein/food they messed with it and tried to destroy and make it as toxic as possible so people steer to more animal products and what not for general myth of "completeness" ect..

I saw this video last night and someone in the comment section posted a good point which i will copy/paste under this video maybe it can help

By Adg80

"Do your own research and consider WHY those websites are anti-soy. Meat and dairy industries know that soy is a complete protein that's actually health-promoting instead of disease-promoting like overconsumption of animal products. For the people who still believe that soy contains estrogen, FFS go do your own damn research. Soy DOESN'T contain estrogen because it's a damn plant, only animal products contain estrogen and other hormones. Isoflavones/ phytoestrogen in soy act as estrogen receptor antagonists mainly. In other words, this makes soy anti estrogenic, and it's why early consumption since childhood in many east Asian cultures like Japan, confers protection against reproductive cancers in women. In Japan it's only recently that women's reproductive cancer rates are going up, due to concurrent, increased intake of dairy and meat. In the last 15 or so years I'd noticed that every time I go back, people seem to be eating more dairy and beef, just my observation. Soy has been consumed in Asian cultures for thousands of years, confirming its safety (thus epidemiological evidence) and benefits. My relatives in Japan, the older and long-living ones especially, all eat soy in the form of tofu, soy milk, natto, miso, yuba skin, and okara, at least twice a day in their diet."

It should be one of the top comments in the comment section to read more replies and what not, you probably understand how this works better than me so i thought id share.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@pluto interesting study, thanks for sharing. 

I guess my concern is that in our western countries, most of the soy has been modified to meet the massive consumption. However this has shed some light and hope for me, great article. I'e seen studies promoting soy and I've seen others discouraging. So in the end it all comes down to a matter of who do you believe since most of us don't have the money and knowledge to do the physical research.