Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Real Eyes

Meditation Postures For Bilateral Symmetry In The Body

2 posts in this topic

With the importance that Martin Ball gives to bilateral body symmetry and having limbs not crossing over the center of the body during a full "energetically open" state, it seems like a good idea to do our meditation practice in the same way.  

I'm a tad surprised I've not heard this suggested by him or others.  If we are aiming for this full energetically open state, sitting in the classic lotus position with crossed legs seems counterproductive.  I can't be the first person to have thought of this...

Some choices for symmetric poses are the "bound angle pose", or using one of these meditation chair/cushion things. 

Disclaimer: I'm no authority on meditation, this just seems like common sense to me.  Maybe Martin mentions it in his books, I haven't read them yet.  But I've not heard this suggestion in any of his interviews.

bound.jpg

cusion.jpg

He mentioned it. The first pose can be done also with legs more to the front and with a cushion under the but.

Doing some easy 1/2min sun salutation-yoga poses before your meditations (which is really nice to do in any case) will probably have you be able to sit in that position like she does, or close to it, after a 3-12 months (?), which is more comfortable than legs to the front.

And of course, sitting a chair is bilateral.